Vanilla pudding mix is the magical ingredient that makes a wonderfully soft cookie that almost melts in your mouth. Using the pink and blue candy morsels adds even more vanilla flavor with fun new colors.
Using a cookie scoop makes perfectly sized little mounds of cookie dough. It looks nice to have a stack of cookies of the same size, of course. But, there is another purpose as well. It’s best to have your cookies of a uniform size so everything finishes baking at the same time.
I learned a new thing when making these cookies. Not all sheet pans are created equally! Rather than wait until the baking sheets cooled, I got out one of the older cookie sheets.
I was very surprised by the differences in the cookies.
I used this sheet pan which allows for 18 cookies each. Mom has two of them. She bought the biggest that would easily fit in our oven.
Don’t forget to measure your oven!
These cookies in the photographs here are a beautiful cookie and they melted perfectly, producing cookies a little bigger than 2 ½”.
Surprisingly, the cookies made on the older cookie sheet didn’t melt and then just sort of sat there until they cooked too long on the outside but not fully cooked on the inside. I never would have made this connection, if this hadn’t happened. Those cookies didn’t get photographed! ha!
From now on, I’m going to be certain to use the higher quality sheets, even if it means that I need to be more patient.
Easy Magic Unicorn Cookies
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 3.4 oz box Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter (two sticks) softened
- 1 cup Brown Sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 10 oz pkg Nestle Toll House Unicorn Vanilla Morsels
- Preheat oven to 350“.
- In medium bowl, whisk together flour, pudding mix, soda and salt until fully mixed. Set aside.
- In larger bowl, mix together softened butter and brown sugar until well mixed and creamy. Add vanilla and eggs. Mix well.
- Add about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of flour mixture to larger bowl and mix well. Continue adding this amount to flour mixture mixing after each addition until all is fully mixed.
- Stir in vanilla morsels.
- Using medium size (1 ½") cookie scoop, drop on parchment paper covered baking sheet, about two inches apart.
- Bake 9-11 minutes, until edges have just begun to brown. Remove and allow to cool slightly before removing the cookies to a rack for further cooling. Do not store until completely cooled.
- Yields 4 dozen cookies.