Moist and delicious, the perfect traditional side dish for enchiladas, tamales, tacos and more. Add leftover ground beef or chicken to make it a meal in a bowl.
The best part of Spanish rice is that beautiful color! You get it by sauteeing the rice in oil before adding the liquid. This is really the most important part! Don’t leave it out.
Great Deals on
Your Favorite Brands
To give this rice even more moist and delicious flavor, use both the drained liquid from the tomatoes AND the chicken stock. You can, of course, use only chicken stock, but you’re going to get more color if you use the tomato liquid too.
The tomatoes I’ve used already have a lot of flavor already but you can also add any other of your favorite seasonings such as cumin, garlic, salt and pepper when you add the tomatoes and liquid to the rice.
I’ve served this as a side dish with my Green Chicken Enchiladas but it’s also delicious with some leftover ground beef or chicken for a meal in a bowl.
Be sure to try it with my recipe for Milanesa De Res Breaded Steak.
Although not technically a refried beans recipe, my recipe for Instant Pot Vegan Bean Dip will work perfectly as a side as well.
Spanish Rice with Tomatoes and Cilantro Recipe
- 14.5 ounces Red Gold Petite Diced Tomatoes, Chiles, Lime and Cilantro
- 2 cups Chicken Cooking Stock
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 Onion
- 1 cup Uncooked White Rice
- Drain tomatoes, allowing liquid to drain into a 2-cup measure. Once completely drained, add chicken stock until the total liquid measures 2 cups.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes.
- Place cut side of onion in heated oil and stir it around, allowing the onion to infuse with the oil, about 3 or 4 minutes.
- Remove onion and set aside for something else.
- Add rice to pan and, stirring often, saute until the rice is golden, about 7 or 8 minutes.
- Add chicken stock mixture and drained tomatoes, stir.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. 6 servings.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. All amounts are estimates and 24Bite™ takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier. Please calculate the amounts yourself based on package labeling if you have specific dietary requirements. 24Bite™, Kim Guzman or Christian Guzman shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on this website or actions you take as a result.
© 2019-2020 Kim Guzman. All rights reserved. Subscribe to 24Bite email newsletters.