Deliciously spiced peach pie, made with fresh farmers market peaches, topped with whipped topping or warm from the oven with vanilla ice cream. You can’t ask for more than that on a beautiful summer day!
Peach season is here! This is the time when we can actually get peaches that don’t require a lot of ripening on the counter.
I used spices that I like from our pantry. Feel free to use allspice or nutmeg, if you prefer it over the spices I’ve used. 1/2 teaspoon of each is fine, but I really, really like cinnamon so I’ve doubled it.
We like to use real cinnamon instead of cassia. If you’re using cassia, you may want to reduce the quantity of it by half in the recipe.
Double Pie Crust
I’m not quite ready to try making pie crust and we always have pie crust in the freezer. It makes it so much easier. You can, of course, make your own pie crust, if you prefer.
For this pie, I’ve used a template to make the cut out of the top crust. So easy! There are several different shapes but this one seems the easiest. Don’t forget to dust the crust with flour, top and bottom, to keep it from sticking when using the template.
This is a fantastic invention that makes it so you don’t have to form little bits of foil covers for the crust to prevent burning. It adjusts to fit different pie pan sizes. Just remember to put it on the pie after it’s been in the oven for a little bit otherwise it will dent the pie. Also, it doesn’t work as well on the pie plate we have that has the build-in handles. Plain round pans work best.
Don’t forget to add whipped topping or vanilla ice cream. Yum!
Southern Fresh Peach Pie Recipe
- 9-inch pie plate (regular, not deep dish)
- 1 Prepared Double Crust Pastry
- 2 1/2 pounds Peaches (about 4 large peaches) peeled and sliced into thin wedges
- 1/2 Lemon
- 2 tablespoons Corn Starch
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Cardamom
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger
- 1 Egg White slightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Place peach wedges in medium bowl, sprinkle on juice from 1/2 lemon.
- In small mixing bowl, stir together corn starch, sugar and spices. Pour over peaches and stir gently.
- Place crust in bottom of pie plate, add peach mixture, smooth out the top.
- Optional: Cut out shapes in the second crust, as desired.
- Carefully place second crust on top of peaches and seal the edges by fluting or pressing with a fork or flat of knife.
- Brush top with egg white.
- Place in center of oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 375°, cover edges with foil or pie plate ring. Continue cooking for 30-35 minutes until pie is golden and filling is bubbly. Cool on wire rack. Cut into 8 slices. Serve with whipped topping or vanilla ice cream.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. All amounts are estimates and 24Bite™ takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier. Please calculate the amounts yourself based on package labeling if you have specific dietary requirements. 24Bite™, Kim Guzman or Christian Guzman shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on this website or actions you take as a result.
© 2019-2020 Kim Guzman. All rights reserved.