These Dark Chocolate Brownies are a decadent dessert sensation when made with the double chocolate of semi sweet chips and cocoa.
- Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa
- Dulce de Leche
- Making Your Own Dulce de Leche
- Difference Between Dulce de Leche and Caramel
When making these dark chocolate brownies, I’ve used two semi-sweet chocolates. Although it’s not crucial, I recommend that you try them, at least once. If you use milk chocolate, you’ll get a different color and flavor.
Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa
The Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa is a completely different taste and color, especially the color. Special Dark is, like its name, very dark. You can see it in the photos just how dark and fudgy the brownies look. That’s what you crave!
It’s okay to use regular cocoa, if that’s what you have. The brownies are still very good. The Special Dark cocoa just makes everything better.
Dulce de Leche
Although this is optional for this recipe, I highly recommend it. It enhances the fudgy, moist texture of the dark chocolate brownies. And, yes, it really does taste as good as it sounds.
You can purchase Dulce de Leche in the sweetened condensed milk aisle. It’s made by the same company.
Making Your Own Dulce de Leche
I’ve seen recipes for both the Instant Pot and Crock Pot for making your own Dulce de Leche from sweetened condensed milk. You really don’t need to go to all that trouble since it’s easy to purchase it already made. But, if you want to make it yourself, use extreme care with one of those recipes, just in case.
I really like the idea of making Dulce de Leche from scratch, though. Alton Brown explains every step on the Food Network. He’s always very thorough and there’s even a video.
Difference Between Dulce de Leche and Caramel
Dulce de Leche isn’t actually a true caramel. It may look and taste a lot like caramel, but true caramel is made with water. Dulce de Leche, on the other hand, is made with dairy milk.
We use Dulce de Leche frequently. La Lechera also packages it in a squeeze bottle. It works perfectly for coffee and ice cream.
Have a browse at all
When using any kind of chopped nuts in baking, don’t simply use the nuts as they come chopped from the bag. They’re never small enough.
I gave these pecans a little bit more of a loose chopping before I added them. I add just over half of the chopped pecans to the mix. As you can see, I added a generous amount to the top as well.
They stick really well in that gooey caramel. So delicious.
More Dessert Recipes
Browse the Cookie recipes category, or try one of these delicious desserts.
- Sweet Tamales: Raspberry
- White Chocolate Blondies
- Mexican Rice Pudding Gluten Free
- Raspberry Swirl Cake
Dark Chocolate Brownies RecipeTap to leave a star rating
For more information, be sure to check the recipe details in the attached 24Bite® post.
- 8" x 8" baking dish
- ½ cup All Purpose Flour
- ⅓ cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, Hershey's Semi Sweet
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 large Eggs
- ½ cup Chocolate Chips
- ⅔ cup Pecans, chopped, divided
- 6 ounces La Lechera Dulce de Leche, optional
- Baking Spray
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- In small mixing bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In medium mixing bowl, stir together all wet ingredients. (This can all be done by hand. A mixer isn't necessary.)
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Do not over stir. It may still be a little lumpy.
- Stir in chocolate chips and ½ CUP chopped pecans.
- Spray baking dish with baking spray. Pour batter into dish and smooth the top.
- Evenly distribute about 5 or 6 dollops of Dulce de Leche on top (optional). Swirl it around a little with a blunt knife. The caramel should still be sitting on the top and not mixed in fully. Sprinkle remaining pecans on top and press them into the caramel slightly.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Cool completely before cutting into squares. The top will form a bit of a crust and it may be cracked a little, exposing a moist interior. Do not overbake. Makes 16 servings.
Note: If there is a video, it will not display while there is an adblocker.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. All amounts are estimates and 24Bite® takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier. Please calculate the amounts yourself based on package labeling if you have specific dietary requirements. 24Bite®, Kim Guzman or Christian Guzman shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on this website or actions you take as a result.
© 2019-2023 Kim Guzman and Christian Guzman. All rights reserved. Subscribe to 24Bite email newsletters.
These look like box brownies, which is exactly my goal for homemade brownies! Excited to give these a try! Thanks for the recipe share!
Incredibly delicious. My family and I, we ate every last crumb.
These brownies are such a treat and so delicious and indulgent!
Awesome! This Dark Chocolate brownie looks absolutely delicious! The color and texture make this so enticing and tempting! Kids will definitely love this, an instant favorite too!
Amy Liu Dong says
Oh, I love this! This is so delicious and so easy to make.
I am going to make this at home!