Mexican Picadillo is a typical meat and potatoes comfort food recipe, made more easily by using the Instant Pot. You’ll find a flavorful combination of ingredients in this ground beef hash style meal.
What is Mexican Picadillo?
As it turns out, the answer is not as easy as you may think. It’s a meat and potatoes comfort food, but there were lots of variations. I researched about a dozen Picadillo recipes before deciding on what I wanted to include in my own recipe here.
Each country has its own ideas about the ingredients for Picadillo and, even within the same country, you’ll find several different variations. At Wikipedia, I found variations of Picadillo recipes for countries all over Latin America, including Mexico and even the Philipines. You can pretty much call this Picadillo a free-range kind of recipe.
For the most part, Mexican Picadillo and Cuban Picadillo are about the same with the same comfort food nostalgia. You have ground beef and potatoes. This is the first time I’ve used green olives in a recipe. Yum! I’ve added jalapeno peppers, but you can use serrano peppers, if you prefer more heat.
I decided against adding raisins as I found in many of the Picadillo recipes. I was just too skeptical about raisins in a stew. I’m sure it must be good, but I wasn’t prepared for that right now.
Mexican Picadillo Instant Pot Ingredients
The decision about what ingredients to include in my own Mexican Picadillo was based largely, of course, on what we had in the refrigerator and pantry.
- Ground Beef
- Baby Yellow Dutch Potatoes
- Diced Tomatoes
Using my All Purpose Seasoning Blend makes things easier. If you already have some made up or you have your own favorite seasoning blend, use that. If not, I’ve included the individual seasonings in the recipe.
At the last minute, I decided to also add Knorr Tomato and Chicken Bouillon to add a bit more flavor. You don’t need to add it. It’s in our pantry, so why not? It gives more tomato and chicken intense-ness without adding more liquid because I wanted a hash type meal, not a soup.
6-Quart Instant Pot
Here is our trusty Instant Pot. Mom is right. This thing makes cooking so easy! Instant Pot comfort food recipes are my favorite!
Mexican Picadillo Step by Step
The steps here are typical for most of my Instant Pot recipes.
- Add olive oil.
- Saute the meat.
- Add the onions.
- Stir in the rest of the vegetables and saute.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Place the lid and pressure cook.
It sounds easy because it really is easy. Mexican Picadillo is traditionally served with rice but you can serve it any way you like. Wrap it in a tortilla, serve with polenta and beans. Eat it by itself. Add some shredded cheese.
Instant Pot Picadillo is a delicious, hearty meal that you can have ready to eat in no time.
More Comfort Food Recipes
I have another similar Ground Beef Stew recipe that you may also enjoy.
Here is a delicious Kielbasa and Lentils Soup made in the Instant Pot.
If you’re looking for something without meat, try the Vegan Noodle Soup Instant Pot.
Don’t miss this crowd pleaser, Creamy Baked Spaghetti Recipe.
Instant Pot Mexican Picadillo Recipe
- 6-quart Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 1 large Onion chopped
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 2 Jalapenos diced
- 1 large Carrot chopped
- 1 pound Baby Yellow Potatoes chopped
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Ground Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Knorr Tomato with Chicken Bouillon Powder
- 14.5 ounces Diced Tomatoes
- 1 cup Green Olives chopped
- 1/4 cup Water
- Press the Saute button on the Instant Pot to begin cooking in saute mode. Add olive oil. Once the olive oil becomes heated, about 1 minute, add ground beef and cook for about 4-5 minutes. It does not need to fully cook and can still be a little pink.
- Add onions, garlic and jalapenos. Continue in saute mode until onions are fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add carrot, potatoes and seasonings. Continue in saute mode for about 2-3 minutes more. Hit cancel on Instant Pot to turn off saute mode.
- Add remaining ingredients. Stir. Check the Instant Pot lid to ensure the rubber gasket is in place and nothing is blocking the vent. Place lid on top and set lever to Sealing. Press the Manual button on the the Instant Pot and set to high pressure for 7 minutes, then natural release fully. The entire cook time will be about 22 minutes.
- Remove lid and turn off Instant Pot.
- Makes 8 servings.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. All amounts are estimates and 24Bite™ takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier. Please calculate the amounts yourself based on package labeling if you have specific dietary requirements. 24Bite™, Kim Guzman or Christian Guzman shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on this website or actions you take as a result.
© 2019-2020 Kim Guzman. All rights reserved.