Ground beef stew is a recipe for hearty warmth and comfort in a bowl. It’s budget friendly and easy to make in just under an hour.
Mom buys large packages of ground beef and freezes them in one pound vacuum sealed bags. It saves money and makes it easy to prepare a recipe like this for a family of six. That might be more like a family of three or four, if you have teenage boys. That’s personal experience speaking.
Great Deals on
Your Favorite Brands
Ground Beef Stew is Budget Friendly
For this ground beef stew recipe, you only need one pound of ground beef. You can stretch out one pound of ground beef with these inexpensive vegetables.
Typical Soup Seasonings
When I’m cooking, I find myself using the same seasonings frequently. These are my favorites.
- Ground Cumin Powder
- Ground Ancho Powder
I already have a mild chile Everyday Seasoning Salt Blend. I think I will work on another seasoning blend to have handy as well. Look for more blends coming soon.
Reducing the Fat In Ground Beef Stew
I’ve used chuck for this ground beef stew so there will be lower fat content. You could also use ground chicken or ground turkey. You will want to add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil before cooking the vegetables to keep it from sticking.
For a meatless substitute, I’ve recently discovered MorningStar Farms Grillers Crumbles. I’ve added it to my grocery list to check it out. I’ve never used it but I will probably need to add some olive oil to keep it from sticking too.
Serve with saltines, toasted bread slices, lime squeezes, crumbled cheese and cilantro.
Looking for More Recipes?
Looking for more hearty comfort foods? Try these:
- Instant Pot Vegan Noodle Soup
- Instant Pot Steak and Mushrooms Soup
- Country Style Cube Steaks and Mushroom Gravy
- Crock Pot Chicken and Tortellini
Hearty Ground Beef and Vegetable Stew Recipe
- 1 pound Ground Beef Chuck
- 2 stalks Celery chopped
- 5 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 large Bell Pepper chopped
- 1 large Onion chopped
- 14.5 ounces Petite Diced Tomatoes
- 4 ounces Mild Chopped Green Chiles
- 14.5 ounces Beef Broth
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Ground Ancho Powder
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 15.5 ounces Golden Hominy
- In large straight sided skillet, on medium heat, crumble and brown ground beef until done, about 10 minutes.
- Drain meat, if necessary, reserving about 2 tablespoons fat and leave fat in skillet with ground beef.
- To meat, add celery, garlic, bell pepper and onion. Continue cooking on medium for about 5-7 minutes, until onions are softened and fragrant.
- To meat mixture, add tomatoes, chiles and broth. Add cumin, ancho, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir. Turn heat to low and cover. Cook for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add hominy to meat mixture, stir and cover. Continue cooking on low for 10 more minutes.
- Serve with crumbled cheese, saltines, sliced lime, avocado and cilantro. Makes 6 servings.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. All amounts are estimates and 24Bite™ takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier. Please calculate the amounts yourself based on package labeling if you have specific dietary requirements. 24Bite™, Kim Guzman or Christian Guzman shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on this website or actions you take as a result.
© 2019-2020 Kim Guzman. All rights reserved. Subscribe to 24Bite email newsletters.