Yes, you can make Instant Pot Shredded Chicken from Frozen chicken breasts. And, it’s so easy. You get a bonus quart of golden chicken stock too!
If you like meal prep recipes, this is the one for you! Put your frozen chicken in the Instant Pot and take it out about 30 minutes later. Shred it and put it in the refrigerator to save for your favorite recipe.
- How Long Do You Cook Instant Pot Frozen Chicken?
- Can You Use This Recipe for Thawed Chicken?
- Recipes to Use Shredded Chicken
It’s incredible what the Instant Pot can do with frozen chicken breasts. So much moist, tender goodness. And, all it takes is just a few simple ingredients.
This recipe uses frozen chicken breasts. We buy them in large 20 gallon bags. They’re boneless and skinless. And, they’re hard as a rock. Since it only takes about 30 minutes from start to finish, there’s no need to thaw them first.
Have a browse at all
I usually season them only with fresh onion and garlic with a little salt and pepper. Three cups of water cover them and it leaves you with a beautiful, golden chicken stock that you don’t normally get when you boil chicken.
It never fails. Two or three chicken breasts and a bonus quart of chicken stock.
How Long Do You Cook Instant Pot Frozen Chicken?
The answer to this is how you’re going to use the chicken afterward. If I use this method of cooking the chicken, it’s so tender and moist, you can shred it in about 60 seconds. It’s perfect.
You may not need as long if you want to serve whole chicken breasts. They don’t need to be this tender, of course. Instead of the full 18 minutes, try 15 minutes, following the rest of the instructions.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, have a look at this 6-Quart Instant Pot (aff link) which we use. We’ve had it for several years and it still works great.
Can You Use This Recipe for Thawed Chicken?
If your chicken breasts are already thawed, I believe I would follow the same recipe and change the 18 minutes to 11.
Whatever method you use, be sure to check that the internal temperature of the chicken breast is 165℉ for safety. Chicken isn’t manufactured so they will have differences in thickness which can affect the cook time.
If it’s not quite ready, simply hit the saute button to cook a little longer.
Have a look at these Shredder Meat Claws (aff link). So quick and easy to shred chicken or beef.
Recipes to Use Shredded Chicken
Having about four cups shredded chicken is a great way to food prep. Try these recipes, for instance:
- Chipotle Chicken Avocado Stuffed Peppers
- Green Chicken Enchiladas
- Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers
- One Skillet Cheesy Chicken Chili
- Buffalo Chicken Pizza
- Easy Leftover Rotisserie Chicken with Pasta
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken from FrozenTap to leave a star rating
For more information, be sure to check the recipe details in the attached 24Bite® post.
- 6-quart Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- 3 Chicken Breasts, frozen
- 1 Yellow Onion, sliced and circles separated
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 3 cups Water
- Salt and Pepper, as desired
- Peel onion and make four horizontal slices then separate the onion circles into the Instant Pot. Add 3 garlic cloves to Instant Pot and add frozen chicken breasts.
- Pour in water and season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Check the Instant Pot lid to ensure the seal is in place and nothing is blocking the vent. Place lid on top and set lever to Sealing. Press the Manual button on the Instant Pot and set to high for 18 minutes. Natural release for 10 minutes then quick release the remaining pressure. The entire cook time will be about 30-35 minutes.
- Remove lid. Press the Cancel button to reset or remove cord. Check that the internal temperature is 165℉. If not, press the Saute button to cook a little longer, until done.
- Remove the chicken to a cutting mat and shred with 2 forks right away. It shreds so easily that it takes only about 60-90 seconds. Strain the chicken stock, if desired. Don't throw it away!
- Allow to cool then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or in a freezer safe container or freezer bag for up to 4 months.
Note: If there is a video, it will not display while there is an adblocker.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. All amounts are estimates and 24Bite® takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier. Please calculate the amounts yourself based on package labeling if you have specific dietary requirements. 24Bite®, Kim Guzman or Christian Guzman shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on this website or actions you take as a result.
© 2019-2023 Kim Guzman and Christian Guzman. All rights reserved. Subscribe to 24Bite email newsletters.