Warm and hearty, our quick instant pot kielbasa and lentils soup recipe is perfect for this unexpected cold front coming through right now. There is just the perfect amount of spicy heat and flavor from the chorizo to really give this lentil recipe a punch that will keep you warm, even if you need to stack firewood.
Instant Pot Kielbasa Recipe
My Creamy Potato Soup Instant Pot recipe worked out so well that I decided to try it again! This time, I decided on a red soup instead of a cream soup.
It’s delicious and kept me warm while I had to bring a stack of firewood in the house this afternoon. It sure was cold out there today!
Kielbasa Sausage Rope
I’ve used a Kielbasa sausage for this recipe. It’s that long sort of U-shaped dinner sausage you’ll find in the cold cuts section.
While cutting this up today, my mom told me that I have loved this sausage since I was a toddler. She said I would stand next to her, waiting for her to give me a piece of the sausage as she was cutting it up. I’ve got to admit that I had a few pieces of it before putting it all in the soup today too. Still love it!
What are Lentils?
Lentils are a legume, like beans. And, like beans, they are high in fiber and protein but low in fat. They’re a wonderful supplement to your diet and I’ve read that they’re great for your heart too! You can read more about the benefits of lentils at WebMD.
Be sure to save all the lentils recipes. They’re so good for you and you really can’t eat too much. In a pinch, it doesn’t hurt to have them by themselves with some sauce, or mix them with salsa. You can even eat them cold, mixed in a salad. Quinoa is trendy, but you could substitute cold cooked lentils instead.
What’s great about lentils is that you can use them in a soup that’s a little too thin. I know that a lot of people use instant potatoes to thicken up a soup but don’t forget lentils. You can add about 1/2 cup to a pot of soup and it will thicken up in 30-45 mintues. And think of all that added protein! Tasty, and nutritious.
Cooking the Instant Pot Recipe
I started out by sauteing the vegetables in olive oil, right there in the Instant Pot. That’s the beauty of the Instant Pot: you can cook everything in the same pot. It’s a beautiful thing.
Once everything is ready, you’ll add the remaining ingredients and pressure cook for 15 minutes and then allow it to natural release. After that, open the lid and serve immediately.
Enjoy this delicious meal in a bowl garnished with green onion and grated Parmesan. Add some sour cream and saltines. It will warm you up in no time.
Instant Pot Recipe: Kielbasa and Lentils Soup
- 6-quart Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 medium Onion chopped
- 2 Celery Stalks chopped
- 2 Carrots chopped
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 3 ounces Pork Chorizo
- 14 ounces Kielbasa thinly sliced
- 32 ounces Beef Broth
- 14.5 ounces Canned Diced Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Red Lentils
- Chop and mince all vegetables as directed. Thinly slice kielbasa sausage into little circles.
- Press the Saute button on the Instant Pot to begin cooking in saute mode. Add olive oil. Add chopped onion, celery, carrots and garlic. Add oregano, salt and pepper. I usually start off with one teaspoon of each of salt and pepper and taste it at the end. Stir frequently until onions are fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- While still on Saute, stir in the chorizo until heated, about 1 minute. Add the Kielbasa slices and stir until heated, about 1 minute. Press the Cancel button on the Instant Pot to reset.
- Add beef broth, tomatoes and lentils. Stir. Check the Instant Pot lid to ensure the seal is in place and nothing is blocking the vent. Place lid on top and set lever to Sealing. Press the Manual button on the Instant Pot and set to high for 15 minutes, then natural release. The entire cook time will be about 35 minutes.
- Remove lid and serve.
- Makes 8 servings. Garnish with chopped green onion, grated Parmesan, a spoon of sour cream and saltines, as desired.