I’m immediately transported to my great grandmother’s kitchen table with her recipe of southern Chicken and Dumplings, made more easily and quickly using the Instant Pot.
There is so much to love with this recipe. This Instant Pot chicken and dumplings recipe is quick and easy. It’s southern food at its finest. And, the recipe is from my great grandmother.
My great grandmother was an excellent cook and she even owned her own diner. I have some photos of her on my About Me page.
You’ll only need a few ingredients and you may have everything in your pantry already.
- Chicken breasts
- Chicken broth
- Crescent rolls (or biscuits)
→ Start Here to Find Your Next Favorite Recipe ←
I’ll admit here that we didn’t have pimientos in the pantry. We had to add it to the grocery list. I’ve only used half a jar of the pimientos in this recipe and mom intends to make some pimiento cheese spread with the rest. Yum!
If you want, you can make your own dumplings. Or, you can do what I did and use refrigerator crescent rolls. My great grandmother used canned biscuits. I would have used cut up biscuits too except that there were no canned biscuits at all in our store. Some items are still a little limited during the current medical crisis.
The interesting thing about using crescent rolls is that, when you cut them up, you can cut them a little haphazardly. Although sometimes you don’t have time to carefully cut something up with a knife, right? I quickly ripped them apart instead. ha!
The different shapes make it look more homemade, don’t you think?
If you use canned biscuits, I would recommend that you roll out the biscuit dough a little before cutting them up so they’re thin and will cook more quickly.
Is this gluten free?
Although I’ve used cornstarch as a thickener, because I’ve used canned crescent rolls, this is not gluten free.
If you want gluten free, though, I think I’ve found a solution for you. ThereIsLifeAfterWheat has a gluten free crescent rolls recipe.
More recipes, please!
Be sure to check out my other comfort food recipes.
And, when you want dessert, you can’t beat this Easy Southern Peach Pie.
Browse all our Instant Pot Recipes to find your next favorite.
Easy Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings
- 6-quart Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- 1 pound Chicken Breast, boneless, skinless, cut into strips about 1 inch wide
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 5 cups Chicken Broth, divided
- 8 ounces Refrigerator Crescent Rolls
- 2 ounces Pimientos
- ⅛ cup Cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- Trim and cut chicken breast. Chop onion.
- Add chicken, onions and FOUR cups chicken broth to Instant Pot. Stir. Check the Instant Pot lid to ensure the seal is in place and nothing is blocking the vent. Place lid on top and set lever to Sealing. Press the Manual button on the Instant Pot and set to high for 5 minutes, then natural release. The entire cook time will be about 25 minutes.
- Remove chicken breast meat from Instant Pot and shred with forks. Set aside.
- Cut up the crescent roll dough into bite sized pieces.
- Press the saute button on Instant Pot and bring the liquid (onions still inside) to a light boil. Begin dropping in the dough, one at a time, stirring constantly to ensure that they don't stick together. Allow to cook, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes. Some Instant Pots will get very hot on saute. Ours is one of them. Turn it to low or even change the setting to slow cook if yours starts going wild and crazy. Go back to saute as it slows down. You want to keep the temperature up so everything cooks but you don't need it to be boiling out of control.
- Return the chicken to Instant Pot. Add pimientos. I only used half the jar. Stir.
- In a small bowl, whisk together ONE cup chicken broth, corn starch, salt and pepper. until there are no lumps. Stir mixture into Instant Pot. Continue cooking on saute, switching back and forth to slow cook as necessary if the heat gets out of hand. Allow to cook for five minutes until thickened or to desired consistency.
- Garnish as desired with cracked pepper and chopped green onion. Makes 8 servings.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. All amounts are estimates and 24Bite® takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier. Please calculate the amounts yourself based on package labeling if you have specific dietary requirements. 24Bite®, Kim Guzman or Christian Guzman shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on this website or actions you take as a result.
© 2019-2020 Kim Guzman. All rights reserved. Subscribe to 24Bite email newsletters.