When looking for an incredible southern home style comfort food recipe, I usually look for something that includes gravy. Mmmmmm…. gravy! Country style cube steaks in brown mushroom gravy is incredible. Serve it with mashed potatoes and you’ve got a tasty meal that will warm your belly on a chilly night. It’s the one skillet meal you’ll want to make again and again.
What is Cube Steak?
I was curious so I Googled. Do you know why this is called Cube Steak? The steak is usually round steak or top sirloin steak and it’s run through an electric tenderizer. The name is derived from the cube-shaped intentions, otherwise known as “cubing”. Now, you know. You’re welcome.
One Skillet Comfort Food
This Cube Steak Recipe is made in one skillet throughout. You’ll need a skillet with a cover and it needs to be oven safe to 350°. Once you have everything set up, you’ll be putting it all in the oven to finish off.
Great Deals on
Your Favorite Brands
If you don’t have a covered skillet with a cover that will work in the oven, you can cook everything in a skillet on the stove top then transfer to a covered casserole or other baking dish, if you prefer.
If you don’t like mushrooms, feel free to omit them. You’ll still have a fantastic brown gravy! It’s delicious on mashed potatoes, pasta, egg noodles, even rice.
Cube Steaks with Mushroom Gravy
The best part is that the gravy is made magically in the oven. You add all your ingredients and then pop it in the oven. Then, boom! Magic! Don’t believe me? Just give it a whirl and you’ll see.
Light in Calories
As it turns out this recipe is pretty light on calories so you may want to enjoy this cube steaks and mushroom gravy comfort food more often. Have fun!
Another great comfort food recipe is this Slow Cooker Beef and Mushrooms which works great on mashed potatoes too!
Or how about a great comfort food with chicken? Try this Creamy Chicken Stew with Mexican Chiles.
Country Cube Steaks with Mushroom Gravy
- Minimum 11" oven safe skillet with lid
- 4 tablespoons Butter divided in half
- 6 Cube Steaks approx. 2-2.25 pounds
- 4 tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- 3 cups Beef Stock
- 1 cup Onion chopped
- 1 cup Mushrooms chopped
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Chop onions and mushrooms.
- On stove top, on medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter.
- Add 3 steaks to hot butter and sear on each side for one minute each. Remove to a plate. Add 3 remaining steaks and repeat. Remove to the plate.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to skillet and melt. Add flour and stir briskly until the flour has browned.
- Slowly add the stock, while stirring gently the entire time. Cook for about 6 minutes. The liquid will still be thin.
- Add onion, mushrooms, salt and pepper. Stir.
- Return the steaks to the pan.
- Cover and place in preheated oven. Cook for 50 minutes.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, rice or pasta. Makes 6 servings.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. All amounts are estimates and 24Bite™ takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier. Please calculate the amounts yourself based on package labeling if you have specific dietary requirements. 24Bite™, Kim Guzman or Christian Guzman shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on this website or actions you take as a result.
© 2019-2020 Kim Guzman. All rights reserved. Subscribe to 24Bite email newsletters.