This slow cooker beef and mushrooms is a wonderfully delicious comfort food that’s made with an almost “dump and go” ease. Serve it with pasta, rice or mashed potatoes.
This was my first time working with the slow cooker and I couldn’t believe how easy it turned out to be!
You literally throw everything in there, stir it around and let it sit. I may have to use it more often!
My mom bought a one-pound package of chuck steak on sale and we needed to figure out what to do with it. We weren’t sure how tender it would be so she suggested the slow cooker.
I started out by trimming and cutting up the chuck steak and put it in the slow cooker with the soup, onions, mushrooms, soup and red wine. If you prefer, you can use beef stock instead of red wine.
We freeze wine in ice cube trays so it’s easy to add them to a dish like this. Have a look at Food & Wine for examples.
I cooked on high for three hours, added a little bit of flour for thickening and cooked for another 45 minutes. Let it cool a bit before adding the sour cream since you don’t want to curdle it.
I’ve plated the Beef and Mushrooms over mashed potatoes with a sprinkling of chopped green onions, rough cracked pepper and red sea salt.
This is really good and I’m going to look forward to having the leftovers tomorrow!
If you enjoy this recipe, try another recipe I have for cube beef steak and mushrooms in a dark gravy.
Slow Cooker Beef and Mushrooms
- Electric slow cooker
- 1 pound Chuck Steak trimmed and cut in bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup Onion chopped
- 21 ounces Cream of Mushroom Soup 2 cans
- 4 ounces Mushrooms sliced
- 3/4 cup Red Wine or beef stock
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/8 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- Trim fat from steak and cut in bite-sized pieces. Place in slow cooker.
- Chop onion. Add to slow cooker.
- Add soup, mushrooms, wine and pepper to slow cooker. Stir. Cook on high for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, mix flour with water using a fork until all the lumps are removed and a paste is formed. Temper the flour mixture by adding about 3 tablespoons of liquid from the slow cooker a total of three times, mixing well after each time. This heats up the flour paste so it doesn't create lumps when adding too quickly.
- Add tempered flour mixture to slow cooker and stir well. Cook for 45 more minutes.
- Turn off slow cooker and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Stir in sour cream.
- Serve immediately.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. All amounts are estimates and 24Bite™ takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier. Please calculate the amounts yourself based on package labeling if you have specific dietary requirements. 24Bite™, Kim Guzman or Christian Guzman shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on this website or actions you take as a result.
© 2019-2020 Kim Guzman. All rights reserved.