Delicious comfort food made in the slow cooker for an easy meal, perfect with pasta or mashed potatoes.
This was my first time working with the slow cooker and I couldn’t believe how easy it turned out to be!
You literally throw everything in there, stir it around and let it sit. I may have to use it more often!
My mom bought a one-pound package of chuck steak on sale and we needed to figure out what to do with it. We weren’t sure how tender it would be so she suggested the slow cooker.
I started out by trimming and cutting up the chuck steak and put it in the slow cooker with the soup, onions, mushrooms, soup and red wine. If you prefer, you can use beef stock instead of red wine.
We freeze wine in ice cube trays so it’s easy to add them to a dish like this.
I cooked on high for three hours, added a little bit of flour for thickening and cooked for another 45 minutes. Let it cool a bit before adding the sour cream.
I’ve plated the Beef and Mushrooms over mashed potatoes with a sprinkling of chopped green onions and red sea salt.
This is really good and I’m going to look forward to having the leftovers tomorrow!
Slow Cooker Beef and Mushrooms
- Electric slow cooker
- 1 pound chuck beef steak trimmed and cut in bite-sized pieces
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/4 cup onions chopped
- 3/4 cup mushrooms sliced
- 3/4 cup red wine or beef stock
- 1/8 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- Trim fat from steak and cut in bite-sized pieces. Place in slow cooker.
- Chop onion and slice mushrooms. Add to slow cooker.
- Add soup and wine to slow cooker. Stir. Cook on high for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, mix flour with water using a fork until all the lumps are removed and a paste is formed. Temper the flour mixture by adding about 3 tablespoons of liquid from the slow cooker a total of three times, mixing well after each time. This heats up the flour paste so it doesn't create lumps when adding too quickly.
- Add tempered flour mixture to slow cooker and stir well. Cook for 45 more minutes.
- Turn off slow cooker and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Stir in sour cream.
- Serve plated over pasta or mashed potatoes. Shown garnished with a small amount of oregano and red sea salt.