Making red beans from dry beans is quick and easy using an Instant Pot instead of going through the traditional method of soaking and slow cooking.
Once you’ve made your beautiful red beans, they’re perfect for eating just like this. If you prefer, serve them with rice. Red beans and rice is a traditional meal that’s always welcome.
You can mash the beans to make a dip or refried beans. Try serving them wrapped in a tortilla. Add them to nachos. Make a roja sauce by blending them with rehydrated chiles. You can always find uses for cooked beans.
→ Start Here to Find Your Next Favorite Recipe ←
By using the Instant Pot, you won’t have to soak the beans beforehand. You won’t have to constantly check them on the stove. Cooking them in a slow cooker for 4-8 hours isn’t necessary. Only about an hour and a half is needed to make perfect red beans.
Ingredients for red beans
Learning how to cook red beans from dry beans is a lot easier than you think. It’s pretty quick and painless. Never hesitate to learn new things, especially when the Instant Pot is involved.
To make this vegan meatless recipe, you will need only a few ingredients. Like my other vegan recipes, I like to add spices and seasonings to liven things up. There’s simply no reason to eat bland just because you don’t eat meat.
- Red Beans
- Olive Oil
- Anaheim Chile
- Jalapeño Chile
- Ancho Chile Powder
- Red Pepper Flakes
There has been some debate lately about olive oils not being created equally. After some research, we decided to only use California Olive Ranch olive oil in all our cooking when olive oil is needed.
Is this vegan?
Red beans are 100% vegan, vegetarian and gluten free. It’s a nice meatless protein addition to your diet with high fiber. It’s perfect to eat alone as a meal with a fresh green salad.
Enter to Win Gift Card from 24Bite!
This isn’t a trick. We really ARE giving away a gift card.
Good luck, everyone! –Christian
More Instant Pot recipes
Learning to cook with the Instant Pot has been so fun. I know you’ll enjoy learning too. It makes things so easy when you don’t have to babysit the stove.
Browse all our Instant Pot Recipes or choose one of these.
- Instant Pot Jumbo Double Yolk Hard Boiled Eggs
- Vegan Noodle Soup Instant Pot
- Kielbasa and Lentils Soup
How to Cook Dry Red Beans in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 large Onion, chopped
- 1 Anaheim Chile, chopped
- 1 Jalapeno, chopped
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 3.5 cups Water
- 1.5 cups Dry Red Beans
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ancho Powder
- 1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- Chop onion and chiles, mince garlic cloves. Rinse dry beans and remove any debris.
- Press the Saute button on the Instant Pot to begin cooking in saute mode. Add olive oil. Add onion, chiles and garlic to Instant Pot and saute until fragrant, about 3-4 minutes. Press the Cancel button on the Instant Pot to reset.
- Add all remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Check the Instant Pot lid to ensure the seal is in place and nothing is blocking the vent. Place lid on top and set lever to Sealing. Press the Manual/Cook button on the Instant Pot and set to high for 50 minutes, then allow to natural release. The entire cook time will be about 80 minutes.
- After full pressure release, remove lid and serve.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. All amounts are estimates and 24Bite® takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier. Please calculate the amounts yourself based on package labeling if you have specific dietary requirements. 24Bite®, Kim Guzman or Christian Guzman shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on this website or actions you take as a result.
© 2019-2020 Kim Guzman. All rights reserved. Subscribe to 24Bite email newsletters.