Spice up your cornbread with some flavorful pickled jalapeño.
The secret to my flavorful Mexican cornbread is the pickled jalapeños rather than fresh, raw jalapeños.
You can get these in a “tamed” variety for less heat or go for the full heat. Your choice. Or, if you’re lucky enough to have some homemade pickled peppers in your pantry, give those a go. No matter which you choose, you’ll need to drain them well and dice them.
Mexican Cornbread Recipe
- Iron Skillet (10")
- 1 1/2 cups Self Rising Corn Meal
- 4 teaspoons Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 medium Onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Pickled Jalapeños well drained and finely chopped
- 3/4 cup Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1 8.25 oz Can Cream Style Corn
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 2 Eggs
- Place 10" iron skillet in oven and preheat both oven and skillet to 400°.
- Reserving 2 tablespoons of oil, mix all remaining ingredients in medium bowl.
- Remove skillet from oven and add 2 tablespoons of oil. Swirl around the bottom and sides of skillet as best as you can without spilling it. Be very careful. The skillet is very hot. Pour any excess oil in corn meal mixture and mix well.
- Pour corn meal mixture into hot skillet and return to oven.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until done.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. All amounts are estimates and 24Bite™ takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier. Please calculate the amounts yourself based on package labeling if you have specific dietary requirements. 24Bite™, Kim Guzman or Christian Guzman shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on this website or actions you take as a result.
© 2019-2020 Kim Guzman. All rights reserved.