Instant Pot Jumbo Boiled Eggs are quick and easy to make and even easier to peel! Use the double yolk eggs to eat by themselves with a little salt or add them to other recipes.
Double yolk eggs
Jumbo double yolk eggs, also called double yolkers, aren’t something you will usually find at a grocery store. They’re easier to find when you have your own chickens, of course.
The eggs are really quite large. They’re larger than anything I can find in our stores. This egg is shown in a 4-cup size measure. You can see how big the egg is in the bottom of the measuring cup by comparison.
Test eggs for freshness
Since your farm fresh eggs won’t include an expiration date, you need to do a test yourself.
→ Start Here to Find Your Next Favorite Recipe ←
Place your egg in a cup or bowl of cool water. If the egg goes right to the bottom horizontally, you’re good to go. The egg is fresh. If it tilts up lengthwise, it’s not “expired” but it may not be as fresh as you would like. The ones that float to the top are not good. Don’t cook them and don’t eat them.
Using your Instant Pot
Making eggs in the Instant Pot is easy. It’s the first thing I made in ours so I could get accustomed to using it.
All you need is a little bit of water in the bottom and the eggs. Be sure to read your manual to learn how to check everything out before use.
I think the scariest part of the entire process is turning the lever to vent. You suddenly see and hear a lot of pressure exiting through the top. It can be a little scary for you and any pets you may have. If you’re really scared, try turning the lever with a wooden spoon the first time.
For size large eggs, we use the Steam setting for 6 minutes before quick release. With these jumbo double yolk eggs, I’ve increased that time to 8 minutes before quick release. Very simple and it works really well!
Ice water bath
Your eggs should go immediately into an ice water bath as soon as the pressure is fully released.
Leave the eggs in the ice water bath until they are cool enough to handle, about 4-5 mintues.
If you’ve never used an Instant Pot for eggs, you’re going to be pleasantly surprised by how easy they are to peel. One time, I pulled an egg out of the ice water and the peel dropped right off because it had cracked slightly while cooking.
Mom has said many times, “Even if I only use the Instant Pot for boiling eggs, I would have still bought it.” The eggs practically peel themselves.
More Instant Pot recipes
Enter to Win Gift Card from 24Bite!
This isn’t a trick. We really ARE giving away a gift card.
Good luck, everyone! –Christian
Don’t stop at making eggs. There are so many other things you can make in the Instant Pot and they’re all easy to make. Browse all our Instant Pot Recipes or choose one of these.
- Instant Pot Mexican Picadillo Recipe
- Creamy Gnocchi Soup Instant Pot
- Steak and Mushrooms Soup
- Instant Pot Beef Pizzaiola Recipe
Instant Pot Jumbo Boiled Eggs
- Instant Pot with Trivet
- 5 extra large Eggs, like double yolk
- 1.5 cups Water
- Ice and more water
- Wash eggs and do a fresh test to make sure the eggs are still good to eat.
- Place the trivet in the bottom of the Instant Pot. Place eggs carefully on the trivet so they are not touching. Add water to Instant Pot.
- Check the Instant Pot lid to ensure the seal is in place and nothing is blocking the vent. Place lid on top and set lever to Sealing. Press the Steam button on the Instant Pot and set to high for 8 minutes, then quick release immediately. The entire cook time will be about 17 minutes.
- While the eggs are cooking, prepare a large mixing bowl with ice and cool water.
- After quick release, remove lid and, with tongs, remove the eggs to the bowl of ice water. Allow to chill in the water for about 5 minutes.
- Peel and serve or add to other recipes, as desired.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. All amounts are estimates and 24Bite® takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier. Please calculate the amounts yourself based on package labeling if you have specific dietary requirements. 24Bite®, Kim Guzman or Christian Guzman shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on this website or actions you take as a result.
© 2019-2020 Kim Guzman. All rights reserved. Subscribe to 24Bite email newsletters.