This vegan bean dip recipe starts from dry beans, without soaking and made quicker by using the Instant Pot. Starting from the bean ensures that everything that goes in your bean dip is vegan from beginning to tummy time.
Mom and I were experimenting with using the Instant Pot to make beans. We had several different varieties of dry beans in the cupboard and we wanted to practice cooking them and to test out the times and water ratios.
→ Start Here to Find Your Next Favorite Recipe ←
Vegan Bean Dip from Dry Beans
Before cooking your beans, inspect them to make sure that you take out any debris. Mom and I didn’t find any debris in the pink beans but we found a little stone in the pinto beans that we tested. Once you’ve inspected them, place them in a strainer and rinse them with cool water.
Instant Pot Beans
Pour the beans directly into the Instant Pot liner and pour 3 cups water with them. Add a little salt because, even though I rinse them again after cooking, the beans may still pick up a bit of the seasoning while cooking. It’s not a huge necessity to add salt at this point, though, if you forget it.
It’s going to take about 60 minutes from start to finish to cook the beans. That’s coming to pressure, cooking and releasing the pressure. The beans will be soft and ready to mash, but not so much that they’ll fall apart if you want to use them in a different recipe.
Do I Have to Use an Instant Pot for Vegan Bean Dip?
No, in order to make this vegan bean dip, you don’t need an Instant Pot. Everything will work just as well if you prefer to cook them in a Crock Pot or on the stove top according to package instructions. Just rinse them afterward and move on to the next step.
Mashing The Beans
I have used the food processor for this batch. It makes the vegan bean dip so smooth and easily eaten with a chip.
If you don’t want to use the food processor or you don’t have one handy, you can just as easily mash the beans with a fork or potato masher. Anything really. A glass jar would work.
Can I Use the Beans for Other Recipes?
Yes, absolutely! Add the beans anywhere you would typically use beans. You can add them to soup, stew or chili. Make rice and beans!
We used the bean dip for tostadas and they were so yummy!
Enter to Win Gift Card from 24Bite!
This isn’t a trick. We really ARE giving away a gift card.
Good luck, everyone! –Christian
The recipe was conservative with the garlic powder suggested but, really, we doubled it here because it was perfect with more garlic.
Try any of the following Mexican recipes for more tasty meals.
For another side dish, try adding this Gluten Free Polenta Toast.
Browse all our Instant Pot Recipes or choose one of these.
Vegan Bean Dip Instant Pot Recipe
- 6-quart Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- Electric Food Processor (optional)
- 1 cup Pink Beans, dry
- 3 cups Water
- 2 teaspoons Salt, divided
- 1 Jalapeno, diced
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Lime Juice, fresh squeezed
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Stock
- Rinse dry beans and pick out any debris. Add to Instant Pot. Add water and ONE TEASPOON salt to Instant Pot.
- Check the Instant Pot lid to ensure the seal is in place and nothing is blocking the vent. Place lid on top and set lever to Sealing. Press the Manual button on the Instant Pot and set to high for 30 minutes, then natural release. The entire cook time will be about 60 minutes. Hit cancel and turn off the Instant Pot.
- Allow beans to cool until you can handle them. Rinse the beans and add them to the food processor along with jalapeno and seasonings. Pulse until beans are mashed.
- With processor on low, pour in olive oil from the top opening slowly until well incorporated. Add lime juice and low pulse to mix well. Add a little bit of stock through the top opening and check to see if you have the right consistency. Continue adding a little bit of stock until you have the consistency you desire.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. All amounts are estimates and 24Bite® takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier. Please calculate the amounts yourself based on package labeling if you have specific dietary requirements. 24Bite®, Kim Guzman or Christian Guzman shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on this website or actions you take as a result.
© 2019-2020 Kim Guzman. All rights reserved. Subscribe to 24Bite email newsletters.