This savory honey mustard bread takes sandwiches to the next level. It’s perfect for ham and Swiss and perfectly at home with Reubens.
This isn’t your usual bread loaf. It’s a flavor-packed explosion that will add more depth to your favorite sandwiches.
Better Than Bouillon. Please buy some of this stuff, if you haven’t already. It’s delicious and it’s so much easier to use than the cubes.
Honey. Use any honey you like. I used a local brand.
Have a browse at all
Stoneground Mustard. I wanted that sort of chunky, “bite-y” mustard. We had this in the refrigerator from a Misfits Market box. (That’s our affiliate link, if you want to check out Misfits Market, a whole new way to shop for produce and other cool food things.)
You don’t use butter or oil in this recipe?
I didn’t use any of the traditional fats in this recipe. It felt like the Better Than Bouillon would be sufficient.
There’s no extra added salt either. The bouilon and mustard have plenty.
Proof the Yeast
Always start by proofing your yeast. You don’t want to waste your time, only to find out that your yeast isn’t viable.
You’ll need the water to be about 105-115℉. If you want, you can use a thermometer. Once you’ve made bread a few times, though, you can tell.
It’s a warmy hot. It’s not so hot that you can’t touch it but it’s above slightly warm. I guess you could say it’s regular bath water temperature.
Yeah, you’re right. Maybe a thermometer would be good here.
Using a Bread Machine
I highly recommend using a bread machine. I’ve been able to make many loaves of bread with it.
I could use our Kitchenaid mixer but a bread machine is so incredibly convenient. It’s one of those set-it-and-forget-it kinds of appliances. Who doesn’t love those?
If you don’t have a bread machine, have a look at this Cuisinart Bread Machine that we use. We’ve had it since 2013 and it still works great.
For more information, check out our Cuisinart Bread Maker Recipes.
I prefer to make a standard size loaf of bread so I usually take it out and put it in a regular bread pan to finish baking.
What Can You Serve with Honey Mustard Bread?
Most savory sandwiches are going to work wonderfully with this bread. I tried ham and cheese first. A bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich was great.
It’s perfect for a nice Reuben sandwich. St. Patrick’s Day lunch, coming right up!
I even tried wrapping it around a hot dog. Delicious!
More Bread Recipes
I’m currently trying to build a library of bread recipes for you and you’ll find a nice variety. You’ll enjoy making them all.
Here are a few of my favorites:
Bread Machine Honey Mustard Wheat BreadTap to leave a star rating
For more information, be sure to check the recipe details in the attached 24Bite® post.
- Bread Machine, if using Bread Machine instructions (Cuisinart Bread Maker 2 Pound used)
- Standing Mixer with dough attachment, if using Standing Mixer instructions
- Standard Loaf Pan 9 x 5", if using oven for baking
- 1 ½ cups Water, warm, 105-115℉, to activate yeast
- 2 ¼ teaspoons Yeast, equal to one standard packet
- 4 tablespoons Honey, divided
- 3 tablespoons Stone Ground Mustard
- 1 tablespoon Better Than Bouillon, chicken flavor
- 1 tablespoon Dried Chives
- 2 cups Bread Flour
- 3 cup Wheat Flour
- Vegetable oil, optional, if making by hand or mixer
- Cooking Spray, like Pam, optional for any use other than baking in bread machine
- Proof the yeast: In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, stir together water, yeast and 2 tablespoons honey until mixed well. Set aside.
- After 10-15 minutes, check the yeast to see that it has a nice foam layer to ensure the yeast is viable. If there is no foam layer, check your yeast. It may be expired and you'll need to try again.
- Add yeast mixture to bread pan in bread machine. Add remaining honey, mustard, bouillon and dried chives to bread pan. Add both flours to bread pan.
- Set bread machine to bake, light or dark loaf as desired. Or, alternatively, if you prefer a standard size loaf, set to dough only.
- If making dough only, once bread machine is finished, remove dough ball and place in loaf pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Cover with towel and allow to rise about 20-25 minutes then proceed to baking in the oven, as below.
- Preheat oven to 375℉. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden. It should sound hollow when tapped on the top.
Note: If there is a video, it will not display while there is an adblocker.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. All amounts are estimates and 24Bite® takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier. Please calculate the amounts yourself based on package labeling if you have specific dietary requirements. 24Bite®, Kim Guzman or Christian Guzman shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on this website or actions you take as a result.
© 2019-2022 Kim Guzman and Christian Guzman. All rights reserved. Subscribe to 24Bite email newsletters.