My grandmother’s favorite lemon dessert! It’s so easy to make, with only three ingredients. It’s light and fruity and delicious. My mom serves it at Thanksgiving dinner.
Only Three Ingredients
There are only three ingredients to this recipe.
- Gelatin squares
- Mandarin Oranges
- Whipped Topping
If you buy the big jar of mandarins and the big Cool Whip, you can save the extra for something else. I ate all the extra mandarins while the Jell-O was refrigerating and the Cool Whip was saved for pie!
The mandarin oranges will be drained completely. And, I do mean completely. If your mandarins are wet, it’s going to dissolve the whipped topping.
Cutting the Gelatin
You’ll make a square grid over the top of the gelatin to cut into squares. I just used a spatula to remove them but, if they stick too much, you can place your pan inside a different pan of hot water for about 10 seconds to help with releasing.
Garnish with lemon slices and mint leaves for extra color.
Lemon and Mandarin Fluff Salad Recipe
- 11 x 17" baking pan or sheet pan, preferably aluminum or high quality glass
- 4 cups Boiling Water
- 3 3-ounce boxes Lemon Jello
- 8 ounces Whipped Topping like Cool Whip
- 1 15-ounce can Mandarin Oranges
- I use a tea kettle to make the boiling water. It helps to ensure that I get the correct amount of water.
- Pour the powdered jello into a large mixing bowl. Pour boiling water over it and stir until dissolved, about 1 minute.
- Pour into 11 x 17" baking or sheet pan. It's very hot so use caution and use a quality pan since you don't want it to shatter due to the heat.
- Place in refrigerator. Again, it's hot. Use pot holders or dish towels under it.
- Leave in refrigerator until set, at least six hours or overnight.
- Drain mandarin oranges and strain well. Place on a paper towel or dish towel to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Cut lines of squares in the gelatin. Place the sheet pan in a pan of hot water for 10 seconds if the gelatin doesn't release from the pan. Add all the square gelatin pieces to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the whipping topping and mandarin oranges. Stir gently. 12 servings.