Instant Pot Red Potato Soup is a delicious, easy recipe. Bite-sized potatoes in a cheesy, creamy broth for hearty comfort.
To make this potato soup recipe, you’ll be using lots of fresh vegetables. That’s the key to getting a nice thick soup.
It may take you a little bit to chop all the vegetables, but go ahead and do that first. Chop all of them and then that part is out of the way.
Red Potatoes. I’m using red potatoes for this recipe because I wanted to cut down on time for peeling. You can replace with Russet, if you like, but you will want to peel those first.
Whatever you do, remember to wash your potatoes well before you use them.
Celery and Carrots. I’ve chopped the celery but I’ve sliced the carrots. You can chop them, if you prefer. I simply like the look of them in the soup when they’re sliced.
Onion and Garlic. Chop the garic and mince the garlic. Simple.
Chicken Broth. You can use chicken stock or vegetable stock. You could instead use bouillon and water.
Cream, Cheese and Sour Cream. I’ve used half n half, but you could instead use heavy cream. Use any cheese you like. We usually have Mozzarella cheese and Cheddar in the refrigerator. I opted for Cheddar since Mozzarella would have left long pizza strings. You know what I’m talking about, right?
Have a browse at all
Using Your Instant Pot
The Instant Pot pressure cooker makes it so easy to make a “one skillet” meal. It’s not necessarily faster for me than making things on the stovetop. But, it’s so much easier!
Throw everything in the Instant Pot, give it a stir and then set it. You don’t need to come back and check it. You simply let it cook.
Here is the Instant Pot we have. Mom bought it at least three years ago. There are more options now, even in pretty colors and patterns, but we’ve got our ole’ faithful Instant Pot and it’s working like a champ.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, have a look at this 6-Quart Instant Pot which we use. We’ve had it for several years and it still works great. (This is an affiliate link, by the way. If you click it and buy, I may get a little something something from them at no extra cost to you.)
Is Potato Soup Gluten Free?
This instant pot red potato soup is 100% naturally gluten free. Some potato soup has added flour as a thickener. I’ve decided to omit the flour but add cheese as the thickener.
Because…. cheese. Yum!
Can I Make This Soup in the Crock Pot?
I haven’t tried it yet, but I’m sure it would be easy to do.
Place all the ingredients except the last three in the crock pot and cook 3-4 hours on high or 6-7 hours on low, until the vegetables are tender. In the last 30 minutes, add the remaining ingredients, stirring well to incorporate.
I’ve given some thought to different variations to make this potato soup just the way you want. Here are a few ideas.
Use light and lower calorie versions of the dairy products. Omit the sour cream completely, if you want. Canned evaporated milk would be a good half n half replacement but you could get the nonfat version, if you preferred.
Add some diced chicken or crumbled bacon. Crumbled bacon would make a fully loaded Baked Potato Soup. That sounds incredible, doesn’t it?
I’ll say it again. Loaded Baked Potato Soup. Be sure to wipe off the keyboard now. You’ve gone and drooled all over it.
Red potato skins are a great source of fiber because the skin is where the fiber is located.
You can substitute other potatoes, but you should peel the skin of Russet potatoes, if you use them.
To make a flavorful soup, this recipe includes aromatics such as onion, celery and garlic. And, cheese. Yum! You can also add crumbled bacon because bacon makes everything better!
More Soup, Please!
Are you looking for more soup recipes? Browse all our Instant Pot Recipes or choose one of these.
- Chicken Chili with Black Beans
- Chili with Seared Steak
- Green Chile Chicken Soup
- Chicken Soup with Mexican Green Chiles
Enjoy this delicious meal in a bowl garnished with green onion and shredded cheddar. Add some crumbled bacon and saltines. It will warm you up in no time.
Try More Instant Pot Recipes
- Steak and Mushrooms Soup Instant Pot Recipe
- Mexican Picadillo Instant Pot Recipe
- Vegan Noodle Soup Instant Pot Recipe
Instant Pot Red Potatoes Soup (+video)Tap to leave a star rating
For more information, be sure to check the recipe details in the attached 24Bite® post.
- 6-quart Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 Celery Stalks, chopped
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- 32 ounces Chicken Broth
- 2 pounds Red Potatoes, unpeeled, chopped
- 2 Carrots, sliced
- ½ cup Half N Half
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- Chop and mince all vegetables as directed.
- Press the Saute button on the Instant Pot to begin cooking in saute mode. Add olive oil. Add chopped onion, celery and garlic. Stir frequently until onions are fragrant, about 3-5 minutes. Press the Cancel button on the Instant Pot to reset.
- Add salt, pepper, chicken broth, potatoes and carrots. Stir.
- Check the Instant Pot lid to ensure the seal is in place and nothing is blocking the vent. Place lid on top and set lever to Sealing. Press the Manual button on the Instant Pot and set to high for 3 minutes. Once the cook time is over, allow pressure to release gradually for 10 minutes then quick release. The entire cook time will be about 20 minutes.
- Add half n half, cheese and sour cream. Stir just enough to incorporate. You don't want to mash the potatoes. Continue heating for one minute more. Press the Cancel button on the Instant Pot to stop the heating element.
- Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving.
- Makes 8 servings. Garnish with chopped green onion, shredded cheese, a spoon of sour cream, saltines and crumbled bacon, as desired.
Note: If there is a video, it will not display while there is an adblocker.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. All amounts are estimates and 24Bite® takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier. Please calculate the amounts yourself based on package labeling if you have specific dietary requirements. 24Bite®, Kim Guzman or Christian Guzman shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on this website or actions you take as a result.
© 2019-2022 Kim Guzman and Christian Guzman. All rights reserved. Subscribe to 24Bite email newsletters.