Try this creamy Instant Pot potato soup recipe, made in the pressure cooker for a quick homecooked meal in no time. Add crushed bacon to turn it into a fully loaded baked potato soup recipe.
Instant Pot Recipe
This Creamy Instant Pot Potato Soup Recipe is my first pressure cooker recipe for the blog. Mom and I have used the Instant Pot lots of times to make things but usually it was simply to cut down on cook time for something or make wonderfully easy hard boiled eggs. I was very excited to give something else a try.
Here is the Instant Pot we have. Mom bought it at least a couple of years ago, so it’s one of the originals. There are more options now, even in pretty colors and patterns, but we’ve got our ole’ faithful Instant Pot and it’s working like a champ.
We’ve thought of several variations to make this Potato Soup just the way you want.
For Fewer Calories
Use light and lower calorie versions of the dairy products. Omit the sour cream completely, if you want. Canned evaporated milk would be a good milk replacement.
For Gluten Free
I believe the only gluten is in the flour that’s added as a thickener. You can either omit this altogether or try a couple of tablespoons of corn starch instead. If you omit it completely, use the pressure time for the creamier version since potatoes are their own thickening agent.
For Added Protein
Add some diced chicken or crumbled bacon. Crumbled bacon would make a fully loaded Baked Potato Soup.
More Soup, Please!
Are you looking for more soup recipes? Here are a few all-in-the-bowl warm comfort food ideas.
Enjoy this delicious meal in a bowl garnished with green onion and shredded cheddar. Add some crumbled bacon and saltines. It will warm you up in no time.
Instant Pot Recipe: Creamy Potato Soup
- 6-quart Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 large Onion chopped
- 2 Celery Stalks chopped
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 32 ounce Chicken Cooking Stock
- 3 Russet Baking Potatoes about 2-1/2 pounds
- 2 Carrots chopped
- 1/3 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 cup Mild Cheddar shredded
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- Chop and mince all vegetables as directed.
- Press the Saute button on the Instant Pot to begin cooking in saute mode. Add olive oil. Add chopped onion, celery and garlic. Add salt and pepper. I usually start off with one teaspoon of each. Stir frequently until onions are fragrant, about 3 minutes. Press the Cancel button on the Instant Pot to reset.
- Add chicken broth, potatoes and carrots. Stir. Check the Instant Pot lid to ensure the seal is in place and nothing is blocking the vent. Place lid on top and set lever to Sealing. Press the Manual button on the Instant Pot and set to high for 3 minutes for potatoes a little chunky, or 6 minutes for creamy. Once the cook time is over, allow pressure to release gradually for 10 minutes then quick release for a little chunky, or gradually release for 15 minutes then quick release for creamy. The entire cook time will be about 20 minutes for slightly chunky and 25-30 minutes for creamy.
- Remove lid and ladle out one cup of liquid into glass measuring cup. Add flour to measurement cup liquid and mix quickly with a fork until smooth. Slowly pour back into the Instant Pot bowl, stirring the entire time. Continue heating for one minute more. Press the Cancel button on the Instant Pot to stop the heating element.
- Add milk and stir. Add cheddar gradually, stirring constantly. Add sour cream. Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving.
- Makes 8 servings. Garnish with chopped green onion, shredded cheese, a spoon of sour cream, saltines and crumbled bacon, as desired.