You’ll love this delicious, hearty chowder recipe made with diced white chicken breast meat, lots of vegetables and black beans. This quick and easy white chili is so wonderfully hearty that you can almost eat it with a fork. Add a dollop of sour cream and a pinch or two of shredded cheese then serve with tortilla chips. Yum!
Buying in Bulk for Easy Chicken Breast Recipes
Mom buys mostly boneless chicken breast and ground beef when we go to the store. She buys a LOT of it at once and then we bring it home to process it and freeze it into one-pound vacuum sealed bags.
This is a great way to save money. You can take advantage of sales and you can buy in bigger family size packages.
Processing Chicken for the Freezer
If you process your chicken breasts into dice or strips or even sliced for steaks in one shot, you have all this chicken in your freezer just waiting to be made into something delicious fairly quickly.
Diced chicken can be cooked in a pan with a little bit of olive oil in only about 8 to 10 minutes. Then, you can simply add your other ingredients and you’re all set.
I know that processing the chicken takes awhile, but it’s really worth it in the long run. Having all that chicken just sitting there, waiting in the freezer, means that you can throw together white chili or chicken chowder fairly quickly.
I love trying out new and different combinations of ingredients to use for the diced chicken and this chowder is wonderful. Such a hearty white chili and a super easy chicken breast recipe. Mom even ate it cold with some tortilla chips. So, yeah, even cold. Delicous!
Gluten Free Alternatives
I’ve used flour to thicken this soup. For my gluten free friends, if you would prefer not to use flour, there are gluten free substitutes but you may also consider stirring in some potato flakes for an easy thickener.
Try this Chicken Portobello Mushroom and Grape Tomatoes recipe for another great chicken breast recipe.
White Chili Easy Chicken and Black Bean Chowder
- 1 medium Onion chopped
- 2 Carrots chopped
- 1 Bell Pepper chopped
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 pound Raw Chicken Breast Meat diced
- 32 ounce Box of Chicken Broth or Chicken Stock
- 2 cups Water
- 15 ounce Can of Black Beans drained and rinsed
- 4.5 ounce Can of Mild Chopped Green Chiles including liquid
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Ancho Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin Powder
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Fat Free Half n Half
- Finely chop onions, carrots and bell pepper. Using Dutch oven style pan, cook in olive oil on medium heat until fragrant, about 8 minutes.
- Add diced chicken breast to pan and continue cooking until chicken is done, about 10 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, water, black beans, chiles, salt, ancho, cumin and oregano. Stirring occasionally, continue cooking for about 20 minutes.
- Remove about one cup of liquid from pan and allow to cool for about 5 minutes. With fork, stir in 1/2 cup flour. Continue stirring until all flour is combined without lumps. Slowly add flour mixture back to pan, stirring the entire time.
- Cook for 10 minutes more until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in half n half.
- Garnish with shredded cheddar, green onions and sour cream. Serve with corn or tortilla chips. Serves 8.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. All amounts are estimates and 24Bite™ takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier. Please calculate the amounts yourself based on package labeling if you have specific dietary requirements. 24Bite™, Kim Guzman or Christian Guzman shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on this website or actions you take as a result.
© 2019-2020 Kim Guzman. All rights reserved. Subscribe to 24Bite email newsletters.