Take your chili from ordinary to extraordinary using steak instead of ground beef, slow cooked for a wonderful melding of flavors.
Making Steak Chili
For the best recipes, start with the best ingredients. If you really want this recipe to be as tasty as it can be, use a good steak.
Mom and I chose a nice Angus Rib Eye Steak because it was on sale this week.
I don’t like a steak by itself. You won’t catch me eating just a steak and mom almost never buys steak, but it looked so good and I knew there was something tasty that could be made with it.
As it turns out, it was the best chili I had ever tasted.
This makes two quarts of chili and, although it’s the best chili I haver ever eaten, mom turned one quart of it into these chili enchiladas the next day and I thought I was in heaven.
Try Chili Enchiladas Too
These are made just like the Green Chicken Enchiladas, except with tortilla wrapped scoops of this chili over red sauce with cheddar cheese, onions and sliced black olives.
Slow Cooker Chili with Seared Steak
- 4-Quart Slow Cooker (i.e. Crock Pot)
- 1 pound Angus rib eye steak
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil divided
- 1 small Onion chopped
- 3 Celery chopped
- 1 Bell Pepper (or 4 baby bells) chopped
- 1 Jalapeño seeded and finely chopped
- 5 Garlic Cloves minced
- 14.5 ounce Diced Tomatoes
- 15 ounce Tomato Sauce
- 6 ounce Tomato Paste
- 15.5 ounce Chili Beans
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Ancho Chili Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Oregano
- Heat skillet on high heat for about 4 minutes, add one tablespoon olive oil and continue heating for 2 minutes more. Add steak to skillet and sear on both sides, about 5-6 minutes each side.
- Once seared, place in slow cooker and cook on high until fork tender, about 3 hours.
- Take out of slow cooker and allow to cool while dealing with the vegetables.
- Chop onion, celery, bell pepper and jalapeño. Mince garlic.
- In skillet, heat remaining tablespoon olive oil on medium and saute the vegetables until fragrant, about 4-5 minutes.
- Chop steak into small about 1/2" pieces.
- Return steak to slow cooker. Add vegetables from skillet and all remaining ingredients. Stir.
- Cook on high for three hours.
- Garnish with shredded cheddar and chopped green onions. Serve with crackers or cornbread. 8 one-cup servings.