Instant Pot Dirty Rice takes a classic Creole dish and turns it into a quick and easy version for the pressure cooker. Delicious as a meal or as a side.
Making dirty rice has never been easier! Using the Instant Pot will give you the perfect fluffy rice you crave.
- Does Dirty Rice Contain Liver?
- Why Use the Frozen Vegetables?
- What is a Creole Trinity?
- Why Do You Rinse Rice?
- What happens if you don’t rinse rice?
- What do you serve with dirty rice?
- How Can I Make Dirty Rice on the Stove?
I’ve purposely made this dirty rice as easy as I can so you can have dinner on the table quickly.
Does Dirty Rice Contain Liver?
This recipe doesn’t contain chicken liver like you would find in traditional Creole dirty rice. I’m not brave enough to work with chicken liver yet. I may never be THAT ready.
If you like chicken liver, you can add about ½ cup minced in addition to the pork sausage. Or, you could add 1 cup or more as a substitute for the sausage. It’s up to you.
Have a browse at all
Why Use the Frozen Vegetables?
Sometimes, you need some shortcuts. I love dirty rice and I don’t have a problem with chopping vegetables. There are going to be times that you gotta be quick, quick. Am I right?
The frozen vegetables I used is mostly onion from the looks of it. I would have preferred more bell peppers. In a pinch, though.
What is a Creole Trinity?
If you want to chop your own vegetables, use an onion, a bell pepper and a couple ribs of celery.
This mixture of vegetables is called a Creole Trinity. It is the base of many Creole dishes. You may also see it called “mirepoix”.
Why Do You Rinse Rice?
Rinsing the rice removes the starch. You may have seen the starch in rice and potatoes that causes boilover.
If you don’t rinse the starch, you could end up with boilover in the Instant Pot and no one wants that. Ever.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, have a look at this 6-Quart Instant Pot (aff link) which we use. We’ve had it for several years and it still works great.
What happens if you don’t rinse rice?
It can get really messy. Boilover can also cause the seal to loosen which means your meal may not be completely cooked the way you want it.
Rinsing your rice is as easy as putting it in a strainer, running cool water over it while you swirl with your hand. Easy peasy.
What Can You Substitute for Sausage?
Ground beef is a great substitute for pork sausage here. For a lighter version, try ground turkey. If you can find turkey sausage, even better!
If I had some kielbasa or smoked sausage, I would add about half of it at the same time as the rice.
What do you serve with dirty rice?
Corn on the cob is a great side. Red beans would be great on the side or mixed in.
Any green bean side dish will work. Okra! Yes, okra. I’ve loved fried okra since I could hold food. Yum!
How Can I Make Dirty Rice on the Stove?
If you want a stove top recipe, try my Dirty Rice Stuffed Bell Peppers recipe. You can simply make the dirty rice without stuffing any bell peppers, if you like.
Instant Pot Dirty Rice (+video)Tap to leave a star rating
For more information, be sure to check the recipe details in the attached 24Bite® post.
- 6-quart Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- 2 cups Rice
- 1 pound Pork Sausage, like Jimmy Dean
- 2 cups Seasoning Blend, frozen mix of onion, bell pepper and celery
- 1.5 teaspoons Creole Seasoning Salt Blend, like Tony Chachere's
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Better Than Bouilon, chicken flavor
- 2 cups Water
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Rinse rice until water runs clear. Set aside to drain.
- Press the Saute button on the Instant Pot to begin cooking in saute mode. Add ground pork sausage. Cook until almost all pink is gone, about 6 minutes.
- Add vegetable Seasoning Blend, stir well and continue saute mode for about one minute.
- Add Creole Seasoning Salt, garlic powder and Better Than Bouillon. Stir well and continue saute mode for about one minute.
- Add rice and water. The water should just barely cover everything. Add a little more water if not covered. Stir well.
- Press the Cancel butter on the Instant Pot to reset.
- Add Bay Leaf to the top of water, but don't stir.
- Check the Instant Pot lid to ensure the gasket is in place and nothing is blocking the vent. Place lid on top and set lever to Sealing. Press the Manual (or Pressure Cook) button on the Instant Pot and set to high for 6 minutes, the natural release fully. The entire Instant Pot cook time will be 25 minutes.
- Press the Cancel button to reset or remove cord. Remove Bay Leaf and discard. Fluff rice with fork.
- Makes 8 servings.
Note: If there is a video, it will not display while there is an adblocker.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. All amounts are estimates and 24Bite® takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier. Please calculate the amounts yourself based on package labeling if you have specific dietary requirements. 24Bite®, Kim Guzman or Christian Guzman shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on this website or actions you take as a result.
© 2019-2024 Kim Guzman and Christian Guzman. All rights reserved. Subscribe to 24Bite email newsletters.