This easy chicken dinner uses thinly sliced chicken breasts smothered in a delicious creamy cheese sauce. It takes about 30 minutes from stove to table and satisfies all your comfort food needs.
For me, nothing says comfort food quite look ooey gooey cheesy sauce. This is a deliciously tasty sauce, wonderfully creamy, smothering tender chicken breast steaks.
Comfort food recipes
I’ve served this cheesy sauce over the chicken and wide noodles. It would be equally delicious over angel hair, rotini, elbow macaroni, mashed potatoes or rice. In fact, I think I may make the sauce by itself and have it with macaroni. I think it will make a great macaroni and cheese.
Have a browse at all
My preferred melting cheese
No matter your choice of cheese, try to use a block cheese and shred it yourself. There’s nothing wrong with the packaged shredded cheese, of course. But, when it comes to melting, the prepackaged cheese is coated with something to keep it from sticking together. This hinders the melting process.
Some suggested melting cheeses:
- Colby Jack
- Monterey Jack
- Italian Blend
You can also try Mozzarella. It melts well but it’s going to hold together and stretch. Think of pizza. Delicious, but maybe not exactly as creamy as I would like. Hy-vee has an article about different cheeses and how well they melt.
I love developing recipes with few ingredients. I like complex recipes as well, but sometimes, it’s really nice to take it easy and have something you can get quickly to the table.
For this easy chicken dinner recipe, you’ll need only a few things and many of you may already have these in your pantry and freezer.
- Chicken Breast
- Chicken Stock
- Half N Half (or cream)
- Shredded Cheese
If you don’t have chicken stock, try using a bouillon powder or bouillon paste. You could also partially substitute with white wine.
More Quick and Easy Recipes
When you’re hungy and you need to make something quickly, be sure to check out these other recipes too.
Easy Chicken Dinner with Creamy Cheese SauceTap to leave a star rating
For more information, be sure to check the recipe details in the attached 24Bite® post.
- 2 large Chicken Breast, boneless, skinless
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- ¼ cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 ¾ cup Chicken Stock, divided
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- ½ cup Fat Free Half N Half
- 1 cup Colby Jack, shredded
- Cut chicken breasts horizontally to form four "chicken steaks". Salt and pepper each side, as desired.
- In skillet over medium heat, melt butter and allow it to bubble up a bit.
- Place chicken in skillet and cook each side about 4-6 minutes, until done, with internal temperature of 165℉. Remove to platter.
- In a small bowl, using fork or whisk, mix together flour, ONE CUP of chicken stock and 1 teaspoon pepper until well blended and lumps are gone.
- Pour flour mixture into same skillet, over medium heat, and stir frequently until thickened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Slowly pour in remaining stock and mix well. Slowly pour in half n half and mix well.
- Begin adding shredded cheese, about ⅓ cup at a time and stir well after each addition. Remove from heat after fully melted. Serve chicken steaks with pasta, rice or mashed potatoes. Serve cheesy sauce over all. Serves 4.
Note: If there is a video, it will not display while there is an adblocker.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. All amounts are estimates and 24Bite® takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier. Please calculate the amounts yourself based on package labeling if you have specific dietary requirements. 24Bite®, Kim Guzman or Christian Guzman shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on this website or actions you take as a result.
© 2019-2023 Kim Guzman and Christian Guzman. All rights reserved. Subscribe to 24Bite email newsletters.