Instant Pot Beef Pizzaiola is a hearty tomato based Italian roast made easier with the Instant Pot. Serve it with fresh crusty bread or polenta for a gluten free alternative.
What is Pizzaiola?
Well, it’s not pizza! No, Beef Pizzaiola isn’t anything like pizza. It’s usually a beef cut, cooked with tomatoes, spices, onions and peppers. Then that’s where it gets wild.
There are different versions of pizzaiola. Most of the ones I’ve seen are made with beef steak. If I were to use a sirloin steak for this recipe, I would have cooked it on a stove. It wouldn’t have required much cooking, after all. Sirloin is a tender cut.
You may also find Pizzaiola called Carne Pizzaiola because you can try other meat as well. You can even use chicken. It’s Italian so I’m sure there are lots of different styles and variations based on region and availability.
Instead of steak, I’ve chosen an Angus Chuck Roast since I wanted to try to adapt this to an Instant Pot recipe. To help with cooking in the Instant Pot, I’ve cut the roast into eight pieces. This is also convenient with serving.
→ Start Here to Find Your Next Favorite Recipe ←
How to Use the Instant Pot
The Instant Pot is the name of the wildly-popular pressure cooker that made its way to many of your gifts last year.
When you first get one, please do the water test first, before you do anything else.
You may want to do boiled eggs next. You will absolutely love boiled eggs in the Instant Pot. Mom says that, “Even if I only used it for boiled eggs, it would be worth it to me to have the Instant Pot.”
Once you have these two things finished, you should be ready to jump in with both feet and make this Instant Pot Beef Pizzaiola recipe.
Is It Difficult to Make Beef Pizzaiola?
Absolutely not! This is one of the easier recipes I’ve made in the Instant Pot. In all honesty, though, all of them are fairly easy. You just add everything in there, close the lid and set the timer. Easy peasy.
For Instant Pot Beef Pizzaiola, I did the following:
- Cut up the roast, season it, then sear it in olive oil.
- Cut up the peppers, onions and garlic.
- Add everything into the Instant Pot, turn it on and cook it.
- Open the lid and enjoy.
Can I Use My Trusty Crock Pot Slow Cooker?
Yes, you can! Sear your roast in a separate pan then proceed with the rest of the instructions. Set to cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
Try Out More Instant Pot Recipes
Browse all our Instant Pot Recipes or choose one of these.
- Instant Pot Vegan Noodle Soup
- Kielbasa and Lentils Instant Pot Soup
- Mexican Picadillo (Meat and Potatoes Hash)
- Steak and Mushrooms Soup
Our Focaccia Bread recipe will be great on the side of this Pizzaiola!
Instant Pot Beef Pizzaiola Recipe
- 6-quart Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2.5 pounds Chuck Roast, boneless
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 26 ounces Chopped Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup White Wine
- 1 teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 medium Onion, sliced into slivers
- 6 Baby Bell Peppers, sliced horizontally
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Oregano, see extra note below
- 1 teaspoon Basil
- 1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- Cut roast into 8 equal pieces and season with salt and pepper.
- Press the Saute button on the Instant Pot to begin cooking in saute mode. Add olive oil. Sear the pieces of roast in the olive oil and then remove to plate. Searing should take about 3-4 minutes on each side. Press the Cancel button on the Instant Pot to reset.
- Add all remaining ingredients to Instant Pot. Stir. Place the seared roast chunks on top of the tomato mixture and pour in any juices on the plate. Check the Instant Pot lid to ensure the seal is in place and nothing is blocking the vent. Place lid on top and set lever to Sealing. Press the Manual button on the Instant Pot and set to high for 60 minutes, then natural release. The entire cook time will be about 90 minutes.
- Remove lid and serve.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. All amounts are estimates and 24Bite® takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier. Please calculate the amounts yourself based on package labeling if you have specific dietary requirements. 24Bite®, Kim Guzman or Christian Guzman shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on this website or actions you take as a result.
© 2019-2020 Kim Guzman. All rights reserved. Subscribe to 24Bite email newsletters.