Call this easy homemade meat sauce or red sauce or even red gravy. Whatever you call it, you’ll be using this easy meat sauce for all your pasta dishes from lasagna to linguine. You’ll never need to buy a jar of ready-made sauce again.
One of the most widely consumed sauces in homes today is red sauce for pasta. You need it for spaghetti and stuffed shells. Layer it in a lasagna. Eat it on top of toasty bread. Put it on a pizza. In other words, you’ll find lots of uses for it everyday!
Making Your Own Sauce
With this recipe for homemade meat sauce, you’ll never need to buy it ready-made in a jar again. You’ll have deliciously wonderful quick and easy meat sauce that I don’t mind telling you, can be eaten all by itself right out of a jar with a spoon but will taste even better tossed with your favorite pasta and sprinkled with cheese!
No Added Sugar
Usually, I would have used carrot in this easy meat sauce to add that little bit of sweetness to the meat sauce. We had run out of carrot but I had some beets. It’s no surprise that we had them since mom *loves* beets and I’ll be sharing her recipe for beets in another post.
Now, I understand if beets in a homemade meat sauce may sound strange to you. You should really give it a try. I don’t taste the beet at all There’s only a small amount in the recipe, to give a bit of sweetness. Feel free to substitute carrot instead, if you prefer.
Great Deals on
Your Favorite Brands
Please note that, when I say “no added sugar”, this recipe doesn’t include any added refined sugar. Some sauces, especially store bought sauces, will include refined sugar. I’ve used natural, fresh vegetables for the sweetness I wanted instead. (Also, I used regular beets, not sugar beets which are commonly used to process refined sugars.)
Try these Gluten Free Baked Meatballs for another tasty ground beef recipe.
Easy Homemade Meat Sauce
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 1 medium Onion finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 stalks Celery finely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 6 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 small Red Beet grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 29 ounce Can Tomato Sauce
- 14 ounce Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 6 ounce Can Tomato Paste
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Basil
- 1 teaspoon Braggs Herbs and Seasonings
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Ancho Pepper
- In a large pot, on medium heat, cook ground beef until no longer pink, about 15 minutes. Remove to a bowl to cool.
- While ground beef is cooking, finely chop onions, celery and bell pepper. Mince garlic and grate beet. Carrots can be substituted for the beet, if preferred.
- Add olive oil to same pan and cook the vegetables on medium heat until fragrant, about 5-8 minutes.
- Chop the cooked ground beef until smaller pieces.
- Add tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, chopped ground beef and the remaining ingredients (seasonings) to same pan and stir.
- Heat until slow boil then turn to low and simmer for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Makes 2 quarts, or 16 1/2 cup servings. Toss with any pasta you like or use it for stuffed shells or lasagna.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. All amounts are estimates and 24Bite™ takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier. Please calculate the amounts yourself based on package labeling if you have specific dietary requirements. 24Bite™, Kim Guzman or Christian Guzman shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on this website or actions you take as a result.
© 2019-2020 Kim Guzman. All rights reserved. Subscribe to 24Bite email newsletters.