Coffee and spice and everything nice! These yummy bars are great for dessert and snacks.
Christian and I needed a quick treat to take to a birthday party and I needed to use the ingredients I had on hand. Here is our recipe for “Coffee and Spice and Everything Nice”.
You’ll mix the dry ingredients first. If you don’t, you may end up with a bunch of cardamom in one spot or maybe a super salty cookie bar but no cinnamon in another.
In a separate bowl, cream together the softened shortening and brown sugar.
It will look a little crumbly. Add the beaten egg.
Add about one quarter of the flour mixture and blend well.
Then add about one quarter of the coffee and mix well. Continue a bit at a time, back and forth like this until you’ve used all the flour mixture and coffee.
Fold in the dates and walnuts.
We’ve baked this in a sheet pan but it will also work in a 9×13 cake pan if you prefer a cake. You would just need to increase the baking time.
Coffee and Spice Bars
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon ground
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom ground
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice ground
- 1 cup shortening softened
- 2 cups brown sugar packed
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 cup cold coffee prepared
- 1/2 cup candied pitted dates chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1-3 tablespoons cold coffee prepared
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom and allspice. Set aside.
- In large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until well mixed and crumbly.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Gradually add flour mixture and coffee, about one-quarter of it at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Fold in dates and walnuts.
- Spray 15 x 21″ sheet pan with cooking spray. Spread batter evenly in pan.
- Bake 15-17 minutes until done. Allow to cool.
- Place powdered sugar in small bowl. Add cold coffee, one tablespoon at a time. Try to mix it after each addition. Don’t overdo it. It takes a lot less than you would imagine. Continue until the glaze is the consistency you would like.
- When the cookie bars are completely cooled, use a spoon to drizzle the glaze randomly over the top. Allow to set before cutting.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. All amounts are estimates and 24Bite™ takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier. Please calculate the amounts yourself based on package labeling if you have specific dietary requirements. 24Bite™, Kim Guzman or Christian Guzman shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on this website or actions you take as a result.
© 2019-2020 Kim Guzman. All rights reserved.