A delightful combination of Prosciutto ham and mushrooms makes this dish incredibly tasty and you’ll be going back for more.
I previously made an incredible Prosciutto Provolone Pizza with half the package of Prosciutto. My grandmother had asked me about the Prosciutto and yes, it’s supposed to be eaten “raw” when sliced thin. It’s cured and it’s supposed to be that way. I wanted to try it fried up as well, so this recipe was born.
Here is the Prosciutto, just cooked, draining on a paper towel. I had a few nibbles and it’s delicious!
My recipe calls for green onions because we had some green onions that needed to be used. I’m sure it would be fine with regular onions or scallions. It’s up to you.
I took a photo of everything simmering down. How do food bloggers take photos when there’s all this steam, I wonder?
I took this off the heat right before adding the final ingredients of cream and butter so I could get a proper photo.
This is really an incredible dish and I love it! I shared some with my grandmother and she loved it as well. It’s a hit! Enjoy!
Prosciutto and Portobello Mushrooms Pasta
- 8 ounces Spaghetti Pasta uncooked
- 3 ounces Prosciutto Ham, thinly sliced like Daniele Del Duca Presliced Prosciutto
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4 ounces Baby Portobello Mushrooms chopped
- 3 Green Onions chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Crushed Dried Basil
- 1 cup Chicken Stock or Broth
- 1/4 cup Heavy Cream
- 3 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- Begin a pan of water for cooking the spaghetti according to the package instructions.
- On medium high, fry Prosciutto ham in olive oil until crispy. Drain on paper towels. Crush and divide in half.
- In the same oil, on medium high, cook mushrooms and half the green onions until tender, about five minutes. While cooking, the water for the pasta may be ready for the spaghetti now.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add pepper, basil, chicken stock and half the Prosciutto. Cook until liquid is reduced almost completely, scraping any bits from the bottom of the pan from cooking the Prosciutto.
- Add cream and butter. Stir and continue cooking until butter is melted then remove from heat. Drain the spaghetti and toss it with the mushroom mixture. Serve with garnishes of the remaining crushed Prosciutto and remaining green onions. Serves 4.