This Paglia e Fieno pasta dinner recipe goes from box to your plate in only 30 minutes. With its fragrant basil, toasted pine nuts and Parmesan, you’ll be going back for more.
What is Paglia e Fieno?
This recipe is what happens when you find a delicious looking pasta and you really want to give it a try. In this case, we found this Giusto brand Tagliatella Paglia e Fieno Pasta at Home Goods.
Yes, Home Goods. They aren’t just full of wonderful housewares. They also have some speciality food items.
Have a browse at all
Apparently, Paglia e Fieno means “straw and hay” in Italian. You can see it clearly below. The yellow pasta is an egg based pasta and the green pasta is a spinach-based pasta.
Because there is egg in the pasta, this isn’t a vegan meal. Always check your pasta. Most pasta is vegan, but there are some that use egg so you’ll need to watch for those.
Have a look at Taste Atlas to learn more about where Paglia e Fieno originates and the history.
Quick pasta dinner ingredients
To make this easy dinner, you’ll only need a few ingredients.
- Tagliatelle Italian Egg Pasta
- Fresh Basil
- Pine Nuts
- Garlic Salt
- Cracked Pepper
- Parmesan Cheese
- Olive Oil
We grow basil in the Aerogarden. It’s really nice to have fresh herbs growing year-round. It only takes a month to fully grow and harvest a batch of basil.
This time, I only had three plants so I couldn’t make pesto but this worked beautifully. Learn more about the AeroGarden.
I quickly cut up the basil by using some kitchen shears in a bowl. Very simple!
The basil bruises easily so I wouldn’t want to do this with a salad, but I was putting it in the pan immediately so it worked well.
I had no idea there were so many different types of pasta like this. The two on the right are the ones I used here.
You could use any of these pasta types or use another pasta you prefer. Linguine, fettucini or even farfelle or rotini, especially if you’re looking for a vegan meal.
More pasta meals
Pasta is so easy to turn into quick dinners so I have several ideas for you.
- Instant Pot Vegan Noodle Soup
- Easy Leftover Rotisserie Chicken
- Prosciutto and Portobello Mushrooms Pasta
- Loaded Instant Ramen Sausage Bowl
For another easy meal idea, try this Dirty Rice Stuffed Bell Peppers recipe.
Paglia e Fieno Pasta Dinner RecipeTap to leave a star rating
For more information, be sure to check the recipe details in the attached 24Bite® post.
- 6 ounces Tagliatelle Pasta, Paglia e Fieno
- 4 ounces Pine Nuts
- 4 tablespoons Olive Oil, divided
- 2 ounces Fresh Basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper, cracked
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese, shredded
- Begin water according to package instructions for pasta and cook pasta for 5-6 minutes. Drain.
- In large dry skillet, on medium heat, add pine nuts. Stir frequently until fully toasted, about 3-4 minutes. Watch to ensure no burning. Remove pine nuts to bowl. Set aside.
- Add 2 TABLESPOONS olive oil to same skillet. Add chopped basil. (Baby spinach could be substituted.) Cook over medium heat until wilted, about 3-4 minutes.
- Into skillet with basil, stir in pasta, garlic salt and pepper. If pasta seems too dry, add remaining 2 TABLESPOONS olive oil. Remove from heat.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese and serve.
Note: If there is a video, it will not display while there is an adblocker.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. All amounts are estimates and 24Bite® takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier. Please calculate the amounts yourself based on package labeling if you have specific dietary requirements. 24Bite®, Kim Guzman or Christian Guzman shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on this website or actions you take as a result.
© 2019-2021 Kim Guzman and Christian Guzman. All rights reserved. Subscribe to 24Bite email newsletters.