About three months ago, I decided to change my daily diet routine to omit bread, rice and pasta. I didn’t want to omit all carbs; just bread, rice and pasta. I’ve been pretty loyal to this plan and I’ve been feeling a lot better. I’ve lost 10 pounds too!
One of the things I like to do is make a “snack plate”. I’ll cut up things like cucumber, tomato, boiled eggs, then I add some sliced banana or halved grapes. I like to add pickles or olives. Maybe an ounce of cheese. Or sometimes, I’ll put some cottage cheese on the plate. I just basically fill the plate with little bits of as many different things as I can fit.
A regular in my snack plate regime is baked meatballs. Of course, I’m trying not to eat a lot of wheat, so I had to come up with something else to replace my usual breadcrumbs. I started using oats instead and I really don’t notice any difference in flavor at all.
I prefer to use cheddar cheese instead of a more traditional cheese, like parmesan. It’s the orange color of the cheese that gives the baked meatballs more of a look like crispy meat that you would normally get in a skillet on the stove top.
We started off by beating an egg briefly with a fork then adding milk and worchestershire.
Christian minced three large cloves of garlic. This is a really handy tool for mincing garlic. It’s easy to use and does a great job. I suggest rinsing it out immediately after use so it’s not difficult to clean.
Here are the oats. You can absolutely use breadcrumbs instead. I used them for years. Just use the same amount as suggested for the oats in the recipe.
And here is Christian, using the plastic food service gloves. He really can’t stand touching this stuff. ha!
This is a pan that I bought with a rack a couple of years ago. I like to use it for baked chicken wings and…. of course, baked meatballs!
I always line it with foil first because I use this pan often and I want to keep it nice.
And, there they are, all ready for the oven!
Gluten Free Baked Meatballs
- 1 Large egg beaten with a fork
- 1/2 Cup milk 2%
- 2 Tablespoons Worchestershire sauce
- 3 Large garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 Cup uncooked oats
- 1/2 Cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 Teaspoon oregano
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Teaspooon cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground ancho pepper
- 1 Pound ground beef 70% lean
- non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In large bowl, mix egg, milk and sauce.
- Add garlic, oats, cheddar cheese and spices. Mix well.
- Add ground meat and mix with your hands for best results.
- Make 16 evenly sized meatballs.
- Line a sheet pan with foil and then top with an oven safe wire rack. Spray the rack with the cooking spray. Place the meatballs evenly on the rack.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until done.
- Delicious alone or with your favorite sauce. Calorie count is per meatball.