This Chili Cheese Tater Tots recipe is inspired by one of my favorite restaurants. It’s crispy, golden tater tots, smothered in chili and cheese. Yum!
It’s an easy, crowd-pleasing dinner that kids and everyone else will love!
This recipe is easy to make with only six major ingredients:
- Tater Tots (I prefer Crispy Crowns from Ore-Ida)
- Ground beef
- Chili Seasoning Mix
- Tomato Sauce
- Green Chiles
- Shredded cheese
Have a browse at all
Shredding the Cheddar Cheese
Of course, you can use pre-shredded cheddar cheese. But, do yourself a favor and shred it yourself. It just melts so well.
The packaged shredded cheese has something added to keep the shreds from pressing together. Although this is great to be able to use it, it does hinder the melting.
Hot, melty cheese is glorious!
Making Tater Tots Crust
I wanted to make a tater tots casserole that you could make into actual slices. This involves making a sort of makeshift tater tot crust.
Once you thaw the tater tots in the oven, take them out and smash them. You can easily use a drinking glass. Or, use a spatula. Anything at all. You don’t need to go wild. Just flatten them to cover the bottom of the pan.
Then you just start layering. Easy peasy!
- Tater Tots crust
- Shredded cheese
- Shredded cheese
- Tater Tots
Chili Cheese Tater Tots are Gluten Free?
Everything in this recipe is gluten free except the specific chili seasoning mix. This is all you’ll need to check.
I used Great Value brand, which has some wheat in it. But, I’ve checked and you can get McCormick and Pioneer Brand in gluten free versions. Just check your ingredients when purchasing.
More Family Friendly Recipes
Whether you’re feeding several people or you want to keep some leftovers in the ‘fridge for later, try some of these favorite family friendly recipes.
- Crockpot Chicken and Gravy Gluten Free
- Instant Pot Mexican Picadillo
- Easy Creamy Baked Spaghetti
- Takis Taco Salad
Chili Cheese Tater TotsTap to leave a star rating
For more information, be sure to check the recipe details in the attached 24Bite® post.
- 9" x 13" baking pan
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- ¼ cup Water
- Cooking Spray, like Pam
- 30 ounces Crispy Golden Crowns, like Ore Ida, divided
- 15 ounces Tomato Sauce
- 4.5 ounces Diced Green Chiles, mild
- 1.25 ounces Chili Seasoning Mix, one packet
- 3 cups Cheddar Cheese, shredded, divided
- Preheat oven to 425℉.
- Spray 9 x 13" baking pan with cooking spray. Add HALF the crispy crowns to the bottom of the baking dish. Set aside until oven is preheated.
- In medium mixing bowl, mix ground beef and water. Use your hand, if possible. Mix well. Place in skillet to begin browning. Breaking apart and stirring occasionally, cook on medium high heat until no longer pink, about 8-10 minutes.
- Once oven has preheated, place baking dish of crispy crowns in oven and bake for 8 minutes. Remove. With a flat object, I used a drinking glass, press down throughout to form a sort of "crust". Set aside.
- Strain off excess fat from ground beef, if desired. Return to skillet. Add tomato sauce, diced green chiles and chili seasoning. Mix well. Once heated through, reduce heat to simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle HALF the shredded cheese evenly on crispy crowns in baking dish.
- Once the chili is ready, spread across the cheese in the baking dish. Sprinkle remaining shredded cheese evenly across chlii. Place remaining crispy crowns evenly across the cheese, as the final layer.
- Place bake in oven, uncovered, until crispy crowns are golden, about 30-35 minutes. Remove and allow to cool for about 10-15 minutes before serving.
Note: If there is a video, it will not display while there is an adblocker.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. All amounts are estimates and 24Bite® takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier. Please calculate the amounts yourself based on package labeling if you have specific dietary requirements. 24Bite®, Kim Guzman or Christian Guzman shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on this website or actions you take as a result.
© 2019-2023 Kim Guzman and Christian Guzman. All rights reserved. Subscribe to 24Bite email newsletters.