This Steak and Mushrooms Soup Instant Pot Recipe is similar to the loved Onion Soup except it includes chunks of steak and mushrooms. It’s perfect for dunking your favorite bread.
French Onion Soup is really delicious. All that bread and gooey, melt cheese is simply amazing, isn’t it? Yum!
History of French Onion Soup
I recently discovered that French Onion Soup originated from Paris in the 18th century. There are two tales about how it became known but my favorite is the one with King Louis XV after a long day of hunting.
He returned that night to discover that there was almost nothing in the pantry to eat. All he could find was onions, butter and champagne. Desperate for a meal, he threw all three in a pot and I’m sure they ate every drop of it. King Louis’ accident is our fortune. If you want to read more about it, there is an article at Culture Trip.
Adapting a Well-Known Classic Soup
Today, I decided that I wanted some of that goodness but I also wanted to use up the gorgeous steak and mushrooms we had just bought. I’ve adapted the French Onion Soup to this Steak and Mushrooms Soup Instant Pot Recipe.
Mom and I so rarely ate steak before I started making recipes but, now that I’m a “food blogger”, I’m trying to enjoy things that I hadn’t considered before.
Have a browse at all
Using the Instant Pot
I’ve used the Instant Pot here because it’s just so easy. When I’m cooking things on the stove, I have to constantly run back and forth to stir.
With the Instant Pot, you can pretty much set it and forget it. That’s really a time saver. Even if you’re working all day, it’s pretty easy to throw everything in there and set it to cook then walk away to handle other things you need to get done in order to settle in. Then you can having a steaming hot bowl of Steak and Mushrooms Soup to warm you up even on the coldest of days.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, have a look at this 6-Quart Instant Pot (aff link) which we use. We’ve had it for several years and it still works great.
Steak and Mushrooms Soup is Easy!
You can easily get this finished in just a few short steps.
- Cut up the sirloin steak.
- Heat up the oil.
- Sear the steak.
- Add everything.
- Turn on the Instant Pot.
It’s a beautiful thing!
Dunk your favorite crusty bread in this soup and enjoy that rich flavor. So good!
If you’re a fan of cornbread with your soup, try this Mexican Cornbread Recipe for more flavor and texture.
More Instant Pot Recipes
Browse all our Instant Pot Recipes or choose one of these.
- Instant Pot Kielbasa and Lentils Soup
- Instant Pot Creamy Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Vegan Noodle Soup
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken Instant Pot Soup
Steak and Mushrooms Soup Instant Pot RecipeTap to leave a star rating
For more information, be sure to check the recipe details in the attached 24Bite® post.
- 6-quart Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- 1.5 pounds Sirloin Steak
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 32 ounces Beef Stock
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 8 ounces Baby Bella Mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup Red Wine, or Sherry
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Ground Pepper
- Trim fat from steak, discard. Cut steak into bite sized pieces.
- Press the Saute button on the Instant Pot to begin cooking in saute mode. Add olive oil. Once the olive oil becomes heated, about 1 or 2 minutes, add steak pieces and sear the edges, turning once each side is seared, about 4 or 5 minutes.
- Press the Cancel button on the Instant Pot to reset.
- Add remaining ingredients. Stir. Check the Instant Pot lid to ensure the seal is in place and nothing is blocking the vent. Place lid on top and set lever to Sealing. Press the Manual button on the Instant Pot and set to high for 15 minutes, then natural release for 10 minutes, then manual release any remaining pressure. The entire cook time will be about 30 minutes.
- Remove lid and turn off Instant Pot. Allow to rest for about 5 minutes.
- Makes 8 servings. Garnish with chopped green onion and serve with saltines or toasted bread slices, as desired. Serve with a fresh side salad for a fuller meal.
Note: If there is a video, it will not display while there is an adblocker.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. All amounts are estimates and 24Bite® takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier. Please calculate the amounts yourself based on package labeling if you have specific dietary requirements. 24Bite®, Kim Guzman or Christian Guzman shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on this website or actions you take as a result.
© 2019-2024 Kim Guzman and Christian Guzman. All rights reserved. Subscribe to 24Bite email newsletters.