Homemade Pizza Sauce is a recipe made from fresh tomatoes and perfect for your next pizza. You’ll never want to go back to canned sauce.
Let’s Talk About Tomatoes
When you’re making a sauce, if you have “canning” tomatoes available to you, those would be perfect. There is a lot of water in something like a popular beefsteak tomato. There’s nothing wrong with that kind of tomato. It will be delicious, of course, and will make an excellent homemade pizza sauce. The only real difference is that you may need to cook it down a little longer than you would with something like a Roma tomato. Use the tomatoes you have available. You may just need to adjust your cook time.
About the Seasoning Blend
Mom uses Bragg Organic Seasoning quite often in both her cooking and as a sprinkle when serving. It’s delicious and I’ve used it in this recipe.
To give you an idea about this seasoning, it includes most of the same herbs and spices that you would normally find in other Italian seasoning blends.
Here are some of the ingredients in Bragg Organic Seasoning:
- Red Bell Pepper
- Bay Leaf
It’s a nicely unique blend but, if you are unable to find it, feel free to use your favorite Italian seasoning blend, or try making your own. Spend with Pennies has a recipe for Italian seasoning, if you would like to try to make your own Italian seasoning.
A Little Something Sweet
I’ve used a little bit of sugar in this pizza sauce recipe. You don’t need to add refined sugar. Use something different, if you prefer. There are lots of natural sugar substitutes at the market.
If you prefer, you could add a little bit of fresh carrot or beetroot in the skillet when you’re cooking the onion. It will add that touch of sweetness.
Using Your Homemade Pizza Sauce
Naturally, you will enjoy this pizza sauce on your own homemade pizza so start with the Homemade Pizza Dough Recipe then pick one of the delicious pizza recipes here.
Homemade Pizza Sauce Recipe
- Standing Blender or Immersion Blender
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Onions chopped
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Basil
- 1 teaspoon Bragg's Herbs & Spices Seasoning or other Italian seasoning blend
- 4 pounds Tomatoes chopped
- 1 teaspoon Frank's Red Hot Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Granulated Sugar
- In large skillet on medium heat, saute onion and garlic in olive oil until softened and fragrant.
- Add salt, pepper, oregano and seasoning blend to skillet. Mix well and continue to saute for one or two minutes more.
- Add chopped tomatoes to skillet. Sitr and continue cooking on medium for about 30-45 minutes more. Set aside and allow to cool for 15 or 20 minutes.
- Mix thoroughly in blender, only mixing about two cups of tomato mixture at a time until fully mixed. Return to skillet.
- Cook on low until desired consistency, about 30-45 minutes. Makes two cups sauce, enough for two pizzas.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. All amounts are estimates and 24Bite™ takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier. Please calculate the amounts yourself based on package labeling if you have specific dietary requirements. 24Bite™, Kim Guzman or Christian Guzman shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on this website or actions you take as a result.
© 2019-2020 Kim Guzman. All rights reserved.