Delicious breaded chicken smothered in homemade red sauce and covered with ooey gooey cheese.
Make Red Sauce
For this recipe, I’ve started with the Red Sauce. It’s important to start with the sauce in order to save time. It will need to simmer for a bit while you’re preparing the other ingredients.
I want a fine chop on all the vegetables and for that, I always use an Ulu. Start off by chopping the onions and bell pepper with a knife, but use the Ulu to get that dice. Not only is it easier, but it’s safer as well.
For the carrot, I used a zesting tool. I didn’t want to try to cook little chunks of carrot. If you grate it, it will cook so much more quickly.
When you’re using the meat mallet, be sure to cover the chicken with plastic. If you don’t you may end up getting chicken bits flying everywhere. Ask me how I know.
Alternatively, try cutting your chicken horizontally to make four thin filets. You will need to double the egg mixture and breadcrumbs.
If you have a skillet that can handle 425° in the oven, you can make this without having to use a separate casserole dish. You can just go from stove top to oven.
Serve with pasta and a fresh garden salad.
Chicken Parmigiana Recipe
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 medium Onion diced
- 1 medium Bell Pepper (or 4 baby bells) diced
- 2 tablespoons Carrot zested or grated
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 13.75 ounce Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Basil
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 4 tablespoons Butter or Ghee
- 2 Large Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 large Egg
- 1 tablespoon Heavy Cream
- 1/2 cup Seasoned Breadcrumbs
- Cooking Spray
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan Cheese shredded
Make Red Sauce
- in medium saucepan, on medium high heat, add olive oil, onion, bell pepper, carrot and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent and fragrant, about 6-7 minutes.
- Stir in tomato and spices. Reduce to simmer and allow to continue cooking while preparing the remainder, about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- With flat side of meat mallet, flatten the chicken breasts. If they are very large, you may want to consider cutting them in half lengthwise before flattening.
- Heat butter in skillet over medium high heat.
- Whisk together egg and cream in a bowl. In a separate bowl, place breadcrumbs. Dip each piece of chicken into the egg mixture and then the crumbs.
- Cook chicken in skillet until golden and crispy, about 4-5 minutes for each side.
- Spray ovenproof casserole dish with cooking spray. Remove chicken from skillet to casserole dish.
- Spoon red sauce over chicken. Evenly distribute and top with mozzarella cheese then parmesan.
- Place in preheated oven and cook for 20-25 minutes until done. Serve with pasta and fresh garden salad. Makes 4 servings.