This Baked Chicken Parmigiana Recipe, or Chicken Parm Recipe for short, is delicious breaded chicken breast smothered in a quick homemade red sauce and baked in the oven after covering with cheese for a wonderful ooey gooey cheese experience.
Baked Chicken Parm Recipe with Homemade Sauce
For this baked chicken parmigiana recipe, I’ve started with the Red Sauce. It’s important to start with the sauce in order to save time. It will need to simmer for a bit while you’re preparing the other ingredients.
→ Start Here to Find Your Next Favorite Recipe ←
I want a fine chop on all the vegetables and for that, I always use an Ulu. Start off by chopping the onions and bell pepper with a knife, but use the Ulu to get that dice. Not only is it easier, but it’s safer as well.
For the carrot, I used a zesting tool. I didn’t want to try to cook little chunks of carrot. If you grate it, it will cook so much more quickly.
I would usually see this tool being used for zesting lemons or limes. I also use it for grating fresh ginger. By using it for carrots, you make them so small that they don’t need as long to cook as they would normally.
Prepare Chicken for Oven Baking
When you’re using the meat mallet, be sure to cover the chicken with plastic. If you don’t you may end up getting chicken bits flying everywhere. Ask me how I know.
I found a handy list of other ways to tenderize or flatten the chicken when you don’t have a mallet.
Alternatively, try cutting your chicken horizontally to make four thin filets. You will need to double the egg mixture and breadcrumbs and it won’t need as long to cook.
As it turns out, slicing the chicken breast in half isn’t really as difficult as you might think. You just have to be really careful.
If you have a skillet that can handle 425° in the oven, you can make this baked chicken parmigiana recipe without having to use a separate casserole dish. You can just go from stove top to oven.
Serve with pasta and a fresh garden salad.
Instant Pot Beef Pizzaiola is another Italian recipe, if you’re looking for more Italian.
Enter to Win Gift Card from 24Bite!
This isn’t a trick. We really ARE giving away a gift card.
Good luck, everyone! –Christian
Chicken Parmigiana Recipe
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 medium Onion, diced
- 1 medium Bell Pepper (or 4 baby bells), diced
- 2 tablespoons Carrot, zested or grated
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 13.75 ounce Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Basil
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 4 tablespoons Butter or Ghee
- 2 Large Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 large Egg
- 1 tablespoon Heavy Cream
- 1/2 cup Seasoned Breadcrumbs
- Cooking Spray
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan Cheese, shredded
Make Red Sauce
- in medium saucepan, on medium high heat, add olive oil, onion, bell pepper, carrot and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent and fragrant, about 6-7 minutes.
- Stir in tomato and spices. Reduce to simmer and allow to continue cooking while preparing the remainder, about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- With flat side of meat mallet, flatten the chicken breasts. If they are very large, you may want to consider cutting them in half lengthwise before flattening.
- Heat butter in skillet over medium high heat.
- Whisk together egg and cream in a bowl. In a separate bowl, place breadcrumbs. Dip each piece of chicken into the egg mixture and then the crumbs.
- Cook chicken in skillet until golden and crispy, about 4-5 minutes for each side.
- Spray ovenproof casserole dish with cooking spray. Remove chicken from skillet to casserole dish.
- Spoon red sauce over chicken. Evenly distribute and top with mozzarella cheese then parmesan.
- Place in preheated oven and cook for 20-25 minutes until done. Serve with pasta and fresh garden salad. Makes 4 servings.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. All amounts are estimates and 24Bite® takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier. Please calculate the amounts yourself based on package labeling if you have specific dietary requirements. 24Bite®, Kim Guzman or Christian Guzman shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on this website or actions you take as a result.
© 2019-2020 Kim Guzman. All rights reserved. Subscribe to 24Bite email newsletters.