This Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup is the perfect satisfying comfort food for the entire family. Made more healthy with no Velveeta and no canned soup.
I decided to make this Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup recipe as easy as possible, with all the wonderful tastes of cheeseburger and potato. Let’s face it and call it what it is. Yes, it’s Hamburger Helper with potatoes instead of pasta!
I’ve added potatoes to help the hamburger meat go further. One pound of ground beef can easily feed 8 people if you’ve got other things to mix with it.
Have a browse at all
With the leftovers, I added some cooked wide noodles and it went even further! Then, it really was like Hamburger Helper and there’s nothing wrong with that.
Can You Use a Crockpot?
Yes! Cook the ground beef in a skillet separately then add the onion. Add everything except the dairy and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 2-3 hours on high.
Add the dairy and cook until heated through. Add the cornstarch roux, if desired, then continue heating until the right consistency for you.
The Crockpot is a great alternative if you want to leave the soup while you’re out chopping wood or something. Ask me how I know.
But, for ease and quickness, using the Instant Pot is my favorite cooking method for soup.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, have a look at this 6-Quart Instant Pot (aff link) which we use. We’ve had it for several years and it still works great.
Making Homemade Croutons
I love making croutons with my Jalapeno Cheese Bread recipe. Put any leftover bread in the refrigerator to get it cold enough to cut easily. Cut slices into bite-sized cubes.
I toasted mine in the Air Fryer for about 5-7 minutes, tossing them halfway through.
To toast them in an oven, spread out evenly on a baking sheet, at 350℉ for about 3-6 minutes. Toss them halfway through.
You could do this with any bread. But, the Jalapeno Cheese Bread is fantastic for croutons.
What Cheese To Use
I’ve used a block of Sharp Cheddar Cheese. It melts so easily in this soup. I prefer getting a block of cheese instead of pre-shredded.
I know you can buy pre-shredded which is, of course, easier and quicker. I find that the cheese doesn’t melt as well. It’s been treated with something to keep the pieces separated, which is great! But, it also keeps the pieces from melting.
More Soup Recipes
I like soup anytime of year but it’s soup season so, like you, we are making a lot of it right now. Have a look at all my Soup Recipes or try one of these favorites.
Instant Pot Cheeseburger SoupTap to leave a star rating
For more information, be sure to check the recipe details in the attached 24Bite® post.
- 6-quart Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Better Than Bouillon, I used chicken but you can use beef to match the protein
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Bragg Sprinkle Seasoning, or other Italian Seasoning
- 1 pound Potatoes, about 2 medium Russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into ½" pieces
- 3 cups Water
- 4 ounces Cream Cheese, softened, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 cups Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Half n Half
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch, optional
- 1 tablespoon Water, optional
- Press Saute button on Instant Pot to begin heating. Add olive oil and ground beef. Using a spoon, crumble beef as it heats. Continue sauteeing until almost done, a little pink remains, about 5-6 minutes. Remove all but about 2 tablespoons of oil/fat from the Instant Pot liner and discard.
- Add onion to the ground beef in the Instant Pot. Stir and continue sauteeing until fragrant, about 3-5 more minutes.
- Stir in Better Than Bouillon, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, salt and pepper. Heat about 1 minute so the bouillon paste melts and incorporates throughout.
- Press the Cancel button on the Instant Pot to reset.
- Add potatoes and 3 cups water to Instant Pot.
- Check the Instant Pot lid to ensure the seal is in place and nothing is blocking the vent. Place lid on top and set lever to Sealing. Press the Manual button on the Instant Pot and set to high for 3 minutes, then natural release. The entire cook time will be about 25-30 minutes.
- The Instant Pot will continue heating. You can change it to Saute if it's not heating fast enough. Just watch it when adding the ingredients because they will stick to the bottom and burn, if you're not careful. Add cream cheese and continue heating until completely melted. Add shredded cheese, a little at a time, stirring constantly until cheese is incorporated. Stir in half n half.
- If you would like the soup to be thicker, mix together the cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water. Stir it into the Instant Pot slowly. Allow to continue cooking about 5-8 minutes to thicken. Press cancel or remove the cord to stop the Instant Pot from heating.
Note: If there is a video, it will not display while there is an adblocker.
Can I Cook This on the Stove Top?Yes! Follow all the same instructions in the same order.
Can I Cook This on the Crockpot?Yes! Cook the ground beef in a skillet separately then add the onion. Add everything except the dairy and cook until the potatoes are tender. Add the dairy and cook until heated through. Add the cornstarch roux, if desired, then continue heating until the right consistency for you.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. All amounts are estimates and 24Bite® takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier. Please calculate the amounts yourself based on package labeling if you have specific dietary requirements. 24Bite®, Kim Guzman or Christian Guzman shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on this website or actions you take as a result.
© 2019-2023 Kim Guzman and Christian Guzman. All rights reserved. Subscribe to 24Bite email newsletters.
Such a great-looking dish, it looks so yummy! It’s overloaded with flavor and taste. Loved to eat our all-time cheeseburger ala soup! Loved it!
This recipe is packed with delicious flavor and so easy to make too!
Amy Liu Dong says
This cheeseburger soup is definitely a great dish with a twist, it looks so delicious! The cheesiness makes it so enticing! An instant favorite dish that will be loved by many!
Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! I absolutely love Instant Pot soups, especially this time of year. I think I’ll make this for dinner next week. Can’t wait to try it!
You can never go wrong with cheeseburger soup, especially when made in the instant pot! Always simple and quick to make!
This recipe was downright delicious! Dinner is sill the talk of my guests!