Slow cooked pork, shredded and added to a wonderful red sauce with vegetables, topped with cornbread. It’s comfort food with a kick!
Slow cooking the pork is your first step and it will take awhile. To make things easier, I started the pork roast before I went to bed, the night before.
Season the pork and put it in a slow cooker on low and go to bed. You’ll wake up to something smelling amazing in the kitchen!
Allow the pork to cool off a bit before shredding with a fork. Discard the liquid.
As with so many of my recipes, you start off with chopping peppers and onions. Always, peppers and onions.
I added all the ingredients back into the slow cooker and cooked it down another hour because, once you put it in the oven, it’s only in there for 30 minutes. You’re cooking the cornbread and, if you didn’t cook everything together first, it wouldn’t meld the flavors.
Serve with avocado, shredded cheese, jalapeños and sour cream.
Tamale Pie with Cornbread Recipe
- Slow cooker
- 12" Iron Skillet (or other deep dish 4-qt baking dish, oiled)
- 3 to 3 1/2 pound Pork Roast (4 cups shredded pork)
- Salt, Pepper and Garlic Powder
- 28 ounce Red Enchilada Sauce
- 14.5 ounce Red Gold Petite Diced Tomatoes, drained or other petite diced tomatoes
- 6 ounce Tomato Paste
- 1 cup Frozen Corn or fresh
- 2.25 ounce Sliced Black Olives, drained
- 1 Medium Onion chopped
- 1 Bell Pepper (or 6 mini bell peppers) chopped
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 large Jalapeño finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 2 teaspoons Cumin
Topping for Filling
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1 cup Self Rising Corn Meal
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 1 large Egg slightly beaten
- Season pork as desired with salt, pepper and garlic or any other seasoning blend you prefer. Cook on low in slow cooker for 7-8 hours until fork tender. This can be done right before going to bed and the rest can be completed in the morning. If you prefer to cook it quicker, it can be cooked on high for 4-5 hours.
- Remove pork from slow cooker and shred with a fork. Discard liquid from slow cooker.
- Return pork to slow cooker and add all Filling ingredients except cheese. Cook on high in slow cooker for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Pour Filling (except cheese) into iron skillet. Top with shredded cheese.
- In small mixing bowl, mix cornmeal, milk and egg. Carefully pour on top of cheese and spread to the edges with a spatula.
- Cook for 30 minutes, or until cornbread is done. Remove and allow to cool about 20 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with chopped tomatoes, avocado, green onions, jalapeños and sour cream. Serves 8.