Baked meatballs with the added flavor of a powerful basil pesto and feta cheese.
Christian and I make a lot of meatballs. We like to eat “snack plates” at meals. These consist of things like a couple of meatballs, sliced fruit, vegetables (raw and cooked), a few olives, and small amounts of whatever else can be found in the refrigerator. It’s just more fun to have lots of little things on the plate. Christian also likes pasta, of course, so he made some pasta to go with these meatballs and the rest went in the refrigerator for later.
Christian minced four large cloves of garlic. This is a really handy tool for mincing garlic. It’s easy to use and does a great job. I suggest rinsing it out immediately after use so it’s not difficult to clean.
It’s so easy to make beautifully minced garlic.
Mix Wet Ingredients First
Mix together the egg and milk with a fork.
Add the cheese, pesto, breadcrumbs, garlic, salt and pepper. With all that basil pesto, we didn’t feel like we needed any other spices or sauces.
We like to mix the ingredients separately before adding the meat to ensure that everything is mixed well. If you add it straight to the meat, things are going to get stuck and you might end up with a lot of pepper in one spot. Or, a meatball of almost all pesto.
Baked Meatballs on a Wire Rack
This is a pan that I bought with a rack a couple of years ago. I like to use it for baked chicken wings, oven baked bacon and…. of course, baked meatballs!
I always line it with foil first because I use this pan often and I want to keep it nice.
Separate the meat mixture into 16 uniformly sized meatballs. You want them evenly sized so they will all end their cooking at the same time.
Now, out of the oven at exactly 20 minutes. Yum!
Serving Suggestion for Pesto and Feta Meatballs
Serve over pasta with stewed heirloom tomato wedges and extra pesto, garnished with cracked red pepper.
Pesto and Feta Cheese Baked Meatballs
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk 2%
- 1/2 cup Progresso seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1/2 tube Amore basil pesto
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper ground
- 1 pound ground beef
- cooking spray like Pam
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- In large bowl, mix egg and milk with fork.
- Add breadcrumbs, cheese, pesto, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Add ground beef and mix well.
- Line a baking pan with foil. Add the try and spray with cooking spray.
- Divide meat mixture into 16 individual meatballs and place on tray. Bake in oven for 18-21 minutes until done.
- Delicious alone or with your favorite sauce. Calorie count is per meatball.