Try a meatless ragout, substituting eggplant for the typical beef.
We do a lot of experimenting with cooking with only vegetables. It’s not that we don’t like meat, of course. It’s just not necessary for us to always include meat.
Ragout is like a thick stew. It usually includes beef, but we’ve substituted eggplant instead.
I minced four large cloves of garlic. This is a really handy tool for mincing garlic. It’s easy to use and does a great job. I suggest rinsing it out immediately after use so it’s not difficult to clean.
It’s so easy to make beautifully minced garlic.
Like most of my recipes, I start off by sauteing chopped vegetables in olive oil.
To save time, I’ve added canned tomatoes. I had some fresh basil but dried basil will work as well.
The eggplant and mushrooms are going to soak up all that exceptional flavor. If using fresh herbs, add them with the tomatoes instead of at the sauteing.
This will be cooked covered to really stew those flavors together.
Cook it down until the liquid is almost completely gone.
I’ve served it with grape tomatoes and sliced olives over fresh spinach with a little balsamic vinaigrette and garnish with fresh parmesan. Yum!
This is a low calorie meal. You can make it more substantial by serving it with pasta or rice. I may try it with chick peas later to add some protein.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 celery stalks chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper ground
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 14.5 oz can Hunts petite diced tomatoes drained
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup mushrooms chopped
- 1 eggplant peeled and chopped
- parmesan cheese for garnish see note below
- On medium heat, saute onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic in olive oil.
- Add tomatoes and chicken broth, stir. Bring to boil.
- Add mushrooms and eggplant. Bring to boil then turn heat to low and cover. Continue cooking for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove cover and continue cooking until liquid is reduced, about 10 minutes.
- Serve with a light salad or over pasta or rice. Garnish with parmesan cheese.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. All amounts are estimates and 24Bite™ takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier. Please calculate the amounts yourself based on package labeling if you have specific dietary requirements. 24Bite™, Kim Guzman or Christian Guzman shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on this website or actions you take as a result.
© 2019-2020 Kim Guzman. All rights reserved.